sprocket clicking

enx

Hi

I recently replaced factory chain and front sprocket (rear shows no wear). Sprocket is damped, and is Yamaha genuine part, and chain is EK 525 ZVX3.

I'm hearing a clicking sound coming from front sprocket under acceleration. It's definitely from front sprocket, because I have tried the old OEM sprocket, and the sound was gone. Is it possible that chain and sprocket needs to break in?

Rear wheel is aligned, chain free play on center stand is 30-35mm.

If your old chain is worn, it will have stretched. A stretched chain will wear rear sprocket although you might not see it.  However, this doesn't explain your front sprocket clicking and not when old is back on. Odd. Are you doing this with new chain (and old front sprocket) ? 

If it doesn't make a sound with the old front sprocket, but makes a sound with the new front sprocket - then you need to examine the new front sprocket more carefully, or your installation of the new part. Are you sure it's not directional and maybe has an offset that you didn't notice? 

The only other explanation is that it's because the new sprocket has that OEM rubber damper on it that hasn't "worn in" to the chain yet, and the "clicking" noise you are hearing is due to the fact that the rubber damper hasn't "seated" with the chain yet.

In which case, it would diminish in time. Or you can examine how far the chain sits into the damping material on the old vs. the new sprocket to see what I'm referring to. 

-Skip

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 7:18 AM, enx said:

Hi

I recently replaced factory chain and front sprocket (rear shows no wear). Sprocket is damped, and is Yamaha genuine part, and chain is EK 525 ZVX3.

I'm hearing a clicking sound coming from front sprocket under acceleration. It's definitely from front sprocket, because I have tried the old OEM sprocket, and the sound was gone. Is it possible that chain and sprocket needs to break in?

Rear wheel is aligned, chain free play on center stand is 30-35mm.

30-35mm of chain slack?? That's more than double what manual states (i.e. 5-15mm)

EDIT: Guess I'm learning something every day about this bike. Current model 900 manual states 35mm-45mm of slack. Interesting. 

1 hour ago, Nuckingfuts said:

30-35mm of chain slack?? That's more than double what manual states (i.e. 5-15mm)

EDIT: Guess I'm learning something every day about this bike. Current model 900 manual states 35mm-45mm of slack. Interesting. 

Yes the original specs of 5-15mm is absurdly tight.  It's been discussed many times on the forum... Good to see that Yamaha corrected the manual to show a more reasonable value for the chain slack. 

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived