Cutting handlebar down

maximo

Thanks for the pictures. I zoomed in to get a better sense, and it seems like the bars have less of a vertical rise, and an increased horizontal bend. I wouldn't call them Tiller Style, but compared to stock, they seem to orient to that direction.

Am I seeing it right? 

You mention the vibrations at 90+. How is it at 70? Any different than stock?

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• 4 months later...

i ended up removing the handguards and feeling like the width was fine. Only thing left to do is cap off the end of the bars - the original hardware doesn't work without the extra plastic from the handguards. I've looked at lots of bar ends but am struggling to find any that look like they will work. I'm looking for something that will fit flush and not stick out too far. 

These seem like they'd work but they are on backorder:

puig_bar_ends_black.jpg

Give your bike a more polished look with a set of beautiful...

Any other suggestions? 

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, dtownmtb said:

Any other suggestions? 

Several of us are using factory Yamaha bar end weights from the FZ9.   They thread directly into the factory FJ handlebar (after you remove the inserts for the hand guards), and are heavy steel that help damp vibrations.  

Here is a thread with photos and the the Yamaha part number: 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Several of us are using factory Yamaha bar end weights from the FZ9.   They thread directly into the factory FJ handlebar (after you remove the inserts for the hand guards), and are heavy steel that help damp vibrations.  

Here is a thread with photos and the the Yamaha part number: 

thank you!

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 year later...

I have a 2019 tracer gt. i like the brush guards, would just like to lose an inch each side. not sure if i have this right, but could you keep the hand guards with the rizoma?

and what is involved with removing heated grips?