• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Picking bike up tomorrow

Meeting tomorrow afternoon to do final set up of new K-tech rear  shock and fork cartridges from performance shop. Somewhat warmer weather is for cast for the weekend and I'm pumped. Bike has 600 miles on it and I'm intending to put a bunch more on it.

• Supporting Member

It’s been said a thousand times on this forum, but I’ll still say it again:  Premium suspension absolutely transforms the FJ/Tracer.   

Congrats, enjoy, and report back with your impressions. 

• Supporting Member

FINALLY - the wait must be killing you.  I will echo what Scott said, first and foremost on any bike I own: suspension, suspension, suspension.  If I didn't already have my current setup I would definitely consider K-Tech, I have heard nothing but great reviews of their products.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

So I picked up my bike from getting K-Tech fork cartridges and full set up on Thursday. (I installed a K-Tech rear shock). Short ride home but it was too cold to ride any further plus it was dark . Finally today, Sunday, I was able to get out for my first extended ride since I bought this bike in November.  I probably got in a good 4 hours riding time. I mention this because the differences in the ride-ability of the bike took a little time until I started figuring out the improvements. The harshness over sharper edge bumps and potholes is almost non existent.  I was purposely riding over any that I saw to see how it responded.........way better.  At 1 point I came into a sharp turn and the road was seriously torn up. The new suspension just swallowed it up with no problems. Previously I had a similar situation on the stock set up and it scared the hell out of me as the bike was all over the place. About 2 hours into the ride I started noticing that I was really able to push it hard in turns, like it was running on rails. Me previous bike was an XSR900 which I had totaled last year.  For comparisons sake, almost the same motorcycle but there is a huge difference, the XSR had a ton of handlebar wobble at highway speed, the FJ 09 with the K-Tech suspension had none. The shop I use here in southern Massachusetts ( Adrenaline Cycle) is an Ohlins and K-Tech dealer. He does performance work, rents out race bikes and has a dyno.  He prefers K-Tech over Ohlins although he doesn't knock Ohlins. Thinks Ohlins quality has slipped. He did a thorough set up with me on the bike and told me that he thought his base set up might hit it pretty close. I'm not messing with the compression or rebound yet as it feels great and I want to better understand what  the bike is doing before I change it.  So far I'm lovin it.

I also pulled the hand guards off along with the front and rear reflectors. I got rid of the license plate bracket and remounted the plate as described by texscottyd. It makes the bike look cleaner and leaner. 

Thank God spring is here and I can actually ride instead of think of ways to spend $ on this bike to keep myself amused.

• Supporting Member

@chesterburnet  Glad to hear that you got to test out the new suspension.  For me it wasn't so much wanting to improve the ride over rough pavement as it was COMPLETELY transforming the bike when pushing hard through a turn, it simply holds a line and absolutely instills confidence,- you absolutely will begin to ride faster and safer (total control).

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

40 minutes ago, betoney said:

@chesterburnet  Glad to hear that you got to test out the new suspension.  For me it wasn't so much wanting to improve the ride over rough pavement as it was COMPLETELY transforming the bike when pushing hard through a turn, it simply holds a line and absolutely instills confidence,- you absolutely will begin to ride faster and safer (total control).

About 2 hours in that's exactly what I found,

Archived