FJ09 Handlebar choices vs GT Handlebar

fijiman

Hey Folks.  I have a 2015 FJ09, and I am contemplating on switching the bars for something different, a bit more narrow and not so wide so I do not get the wobble at high speeds.  The GT ones seems a bit narrow, and I am wondering if it is because of the narrow guards...are the bars are the same between the bikes?

What other bars have you guys used that worked well?  Needing to decide on this before I put on the heated grips!

Cheers all!

Here's my take on it, also on a previous post. You don't need to pay for new bars..The new gt bars are a bit narrower, but as you've said, they have narrowed the guards spacer.  Your bike is same as mine. I junked bar ends and guards as they do sod all except cause turbulence. For winter I put on barkbusters blizzards, a soft large cup which keeps the cold off, and have bars naked in summer.    Without oem guards, your hands are still in the same position, but overall width is decreased. I cut 1" off each end of bars, and got a tap off eBay to cut new thread inside bar. You don't have to do this if not using stock guards. You will also need to drill a few tiny locating holes for brake clutch housings. I just used thin bar end with rubber insert to finish off.  I find this shorter bar better, a bit more stable and my arms seem to find it a bit more natural. So, £3.00 for tap, and £3.00 for bar end caps. Use the £70.00 saving to buy petrol and go out for a nice long ride 😀I also put on Oxford heated grips, cheaper than yam @£50.00 and work very well. Remember, stance and setup is a personal choice, it might not suit everyone. If you decide to do this and need help, just post back.

19 hours ago, fijiman said:

Hey Folks.  I have a 2015 FJ09, and I am contemplating on switching the bars for something different, a bit more narrow and not so wide so I do not get the wobble at high speeds.  The GT ones seems a bit narrow, and I am wondering if it is because of the narrow guards...are the bars are the same between the bikes?

What other bars have you guys used that worked well?  Needing to decide on this before I put on the heated grips!

Cheers all!

I have a 2015 and installed Renthal bars  with a KX450 bend.  They are almost identical to the OEM, but the sweep is different, easier on my wrists.

For high speed wobble, I would think narrower bars would be worse, and changing bars is not addressing the issue.  What are your suspension settings?   Too much sag in the rear can cause a wobble.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, carey said:

For high speed wobble, I would think narrower bars would be worse, and changing bars is not addressing the issue.  What are your suspension settings?   Too much sag in the rear can cause a wobble.

I bought narrower Rizoma bars and cut a bit more off each end, I dont like wide bars - I have no issues with any high speed wobble.

If you are needing wider bars to keep the bike in control at speed, there is something not setup correctly.

There was just another post similar to this a day or 2 ago, some suggestions to check to reduce/eliminate high speed wobble - oem handguards, the Tracer are more streamlined than the FJ but could potentially cause turbulence.  Suspension settings, do you have oem suspension? is sag set correct? forks raised a few mm in the clamps?  Tires and tire pressure, the factory Dunlops are "meh" at best, premium rubber and proper air pressure greatly improves handling. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks all of the reply...tire pressure, suspension is all set-up all right, it's all stock....I am just annoyed with the wide bars...read a bit more and it seems folks are just replacing the  OEM hand guards with  KTM  ones (KTM hand guard  part # 6030217910030) which narrows down the total length by a few inches!  I might just do that!

• Premium Member

I installed GT bars on my FJ not long ago.  There's not enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile.  That said, everything went back on, including the stock 'hand guards' without issue.  I did have to drill one locating hole to accommodate the right switch gear.

5 hours ago, builderbob said:

I installed GT bars on my FJ not long ago.  There's not enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile.  That said, everything went back on, including the stock 'hand guards' without issue.  I did have to drill one locating hole to accommodate the right switch gear.

Cool, thanks for the note...I was thinking of getting the GT one, but as you said, it did not make much of a difference...so I might not do that.

Just wondering where were you able to get the GT Bars?  Did you also get the GT bar guards?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, fijiman said:

Cool, thanks for the note...I was thinking of getting the GT one, but as you said, it did not make much of a difference...so I might not do that.

Just wondering where were you able to get the GT Bars?  Did you also get the GT bar guards?

I bought the bars from Babbitts.  Part #B1J-26111-00-00.  I just transferred all of the old stuff onto the new bars.  Used the old FJ bar guards.

7 hours ago, builderbob said:

I bought the bars from Babbitts.  Part #B1J-26111-00-00.  I just transferred all of the old stuff onto the new bars.  Used the old FJ bar guards.

Cool, thanks!

Archived