Klim TK1200 helmet

1moreroad

• Premium Member

Ordered the Klim as a replacement for my worn out Scorpion EXO-T1200.

This is the 1st time I ordered a helmet online without ever trying it on 1st. It seems to have worked.  Wore the helmet around the house for about 30 minutes and wore it in town today. 

I ordered directly from Klim. Motorcycle Gear and Revzilla have similar prices.

Fit: slightly smaller than a Shoei. Head shape feels the same as my old X11s or the GT Air I tried on before buying the Scorpion. 

Internet criticism about the tight neck roll and cheek pads is accurate. On 1st impression, this has excellent forehead/top of the head fit and tight (but still fits) cheek pads. 

The modular face piece must be up for me to get in the helmet with either chin curtain in place. It's that tight. Once on, the helmet feels good. 

When taking it off, it tries to rip your ears off. Again, internet criticism is accurate. How the helmet comes off is lower priority for me.

Weight: this is the helmet's big selling point. It's a modular but it's noticeably lighter than the full face Scorpion and lighter than the X11. 

Size: noticeably wider at the visor than my old Shoei or Scorpion helmets. Probably 1" - 1 1/2" wider. 

Noise: slightly quieter than the Scorpion even before I added the extra padding inside at the ears and the bigger chin curtain. I will still wear ear plugs on anything but short, in town errands.  The internet says it's loud and whistles.  I do not agree on this one. I could only get a whistle when I leaned way to the side of the windshield holding my head at a weird angle.

Interestingly, standing on the pegs to get my face full in the wind isn't louder but has a lot more bass than my Scorpion. Moto aero has a lot to do with noise (duh).

Ventilation and fogging: so-so. Just feel cool air on the top of my head and chin. Haven't installed the pin lock yet. The first detent visor cracked open clears up fogging instantly. 

Visor: instead of a 2nd, internal visor, it uses a transition visor. I didn't like the sun visor on my Scorpion. It scratched too easily. The optics were a little weird.

The Klim's optics are very good (haven't installed the pinlock). The transition happens subtly but quickly. I would like it darker.

Anything else you'd like to know? 

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

4000 mile update.  In short - all of the above still basically applies.  The pads do not try to rip my ears off when I remove it anymore.  I did not overheat all the way to 105 degrees air temperature.  Pinlock is installed and works.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member

Helmet still good 3 years later. The new AGV modular might be a little lighter but the AGV is louder. 

A Sena 50S fits perfectly on the side of the helmet. I have discovered that I don't use the flip up much. Light sensitive visor is mostly awesome and convenient except for heading straight into the sun (which caused problems with my old Scorpion's shield, too).

With daylight savings time and a new commute I can report that sunglasses for easily in the helmet. The photo sensitive visor is not enough when you're driving east 1st thing in the morning.