best mod

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Name your roundabout! 
name my wha? 
headscratch_zpsd1ethr7t.gif

roundabouts have names?

LOL Yes roundabouts have names--some after their locations-- Weatherford, Tx roundabout(been there  80+yrs) or some after the roads they are located on. Traffic engineers figured out this is the fastest and most efficient way to move traffic through intersections. Also they don't have to pay for expensive traffic lights. Looks like the British figured this out years ago. Roundabouts or traffic circles as they are more commonly know in the US are being used more often everywhere in the US. The problem is U.S. drivers don't know how to use them.   

• Premium Member
roundabouts have names?

LOL Yes roundabouts have names--some after their locations [...] Roundabouts or traffic circles as they are more commonly know in the US are being used more often everywhere in the US. The problem is US drivers don't know how to use them.  
That's the truth.  We have a lot of them in eastern Massachusetts.  Right near my house are what we call the "dual donuts of death", a linked pair of roundabouts (we call them rotaries).  You know how traffic in the roundabout has the right of way, normally?  Well, not in Massachusetts.  Traffic with the most dents has the right of way.  (That's everywhere, not just roundabouts.) 
Regarding being a cheaper/better solution than traffic lights, there is one case where it falls apart: If there is enough traffic flowing through the rotary in one direction that there is never a break to let in new traffic.  You get starvation on one or more of the other inlets.  And that is, unfortunately, exactly the case with that particular pair of roundabouts, although some recent upstream traffic lights have helped a lot.  In lower traffic cases they work brilliantly though, and they're certainly prettier than traffic lights.

There used to be three roundabouts in that area, but they replaced one of them with this complete mess of an intersection:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fresh+Pond,+Cambridge,+MA+02138/@42.3980608,-71.1415105,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89e3779ee24f3d79:0xac324f4b951f316f

That's especially heinous because it's really just a 4-way intersection.  What they really should have done is built the main roadway (route 2) as an overpass and then tunneled the more local traffic under it to surface streets.  Alas, they did not.  As you might expect, traffic through that intersection is a complete nightmare, often backing up for miles.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Uniball....I'm  waiting for spring to arrive so no bike yet but i ordered the  heated grips. Are they completely  controlled thru the display or do they have extra switches for temp/on/off?
The heated grips are controlled completely through the display.    There are NO additional switches.    It is seamless and they put out LOTS of heat.    A great system.    

• Premium Member
LOL Yes roundabouts have names--some after their locations [...] Roundabouts or traffic circles as they are more commonly know in the US are being used more often everywhere in the US. The problem is US drivers don't know how to use them.  
... we call the "dual donuts of death"... 

Back when I was stationed at Walter Reed in D.C., the only name we knew for traffic circles was, "suicide circles". Of course, during rush hours in D.C., they pretty much became "stopped circles".
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Archived