Me and my FJ, Mary-Kate.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=90398&g2_serialNumber=1

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Have to say, the dealer has been great, but then again I picked them because I had good experiences with them before. It took awhile to get the recall parts from Yamaha but they had them installed and the bike ready to go within four hours of receipt. And they are going to return the frame sliders I ordered, but which had taken longer than expected to ship from Yamaha, since I decided I wanted crash bars instead.

Revzilla and TwistedThrottle were both out-of-stock on the SW-Motech crash bars, but AdvDepot had them in stock and shipped them within a couple of hours of the order. I might have them by the end of the week.

I still have to put the rack on, and acquire some washers for the Givi tank bag mount ring (I have hundreds of washers, only one of which is the right kind, and I need three or four, d'oh!).

Then electrical stuff, building a switched fuse block.

It will be Very Nice to have a permanent GPS mount on the bike. I didn't do that originally because I wanted to be able to switch between bikes easily, but I'm not concerned about that anymore. On the Daytona I wired the GPS mount into the tank bag power and had to carry the mount around with the tank bag. This was a pain in the neck because I had to pull off and remount the mount on the RAM ball every time I took the tank bag off and on. It'll be nice to just grab-and-go.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Oh yea: I LOVE THIS BIKE. It's F-U-N like nothing I've ever ridden (and I had an SV650S).
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Good deal Jim. I knew you would like it. Glad you finally got to ride it.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
If I'd won the lottery the picture would have been taken in southern France. :-)

The more I ride her, though, the happier I am with the choice I made. This bike was made for me.

Today I experimented with B mode, just because I was shuttling around in traffic in the rain. In B mode there is none of the low-throttle jerkiness. OK, Yamaha, if you can make it work really well in B mode, what is the problem with making it work well in STD or A? I get "more responsive" but with throttle by wire you can have your cake and eat it too, fixing the low-throttle-opening jerkiness and still being super responsive through most of the range (ie "above 4krpms").

In STD mode it's still not any more jerky than my old bike, so I have no problem riding around it, but it would be nice if it worked as well as it can.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
The farkling will continue for awhile yet.

This weekend I should be installing all the wiring (without GPS I am totally lost), possibly the Ermax sport screen if it shows up, SW-Motech crash bars, and the Givi XS308. I will post pictures as things go on.

I really have to thank the folks here who figured out how to get the XS308 lock ring to work. I had thought I could hog out bits of the ring to make it fit around the plastic cowling, but the tank back locks around the ring rather than inside it and the lock mechanism is part of the outer shell so I can't cut that down without interfering with the lock mechanism. So, propping it up is the only way to go short of cutting the bike plastic (which I really do not want to do).

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Hey Jim... I picked up my FJ last night... I understand you fully now.... Coming from a HD cruiser, they FJ feels light and ALIVE... My problem, it's to quiete and sneaks over the speed limit to quickly..... Mirrors are really to short.. I'll need the extenders.. Seat comfortable for a stock... Windshield... Going to really have to test it in next week or so.... Weather sucks here this week... I feel like a little kid for some reason.... I'm already at mid-life... Weird but good feeling...I can say the FJ is everything the reviews state..oh yeah.. My daughter was behind me in her cage,,, she says the rear tail light when I brake is dim and really not that attention getting... In today's world... I think tail light should be Frgn bright and get attention... Wondering if there is a aftermarket that's brighter with flashing.. Ride safe... I went to garage just to peek of the FJ was real this morning.... IT IS.....

• Premium Member
My problem, it's to quiete and sneaks over the speed limit to quickly..... Mirrors are really to short.. I'll need the extenders.. Seat comfortable for a stock... Windshield... Going to really have to test it in next week or so.... Weather sucks here this week... I feel like a little kid for some reason....
Congratulations! 
I have the same problem with the speed limit.  My brain is still wired for the old bike and the feel is similar enough that I think I know how fast I'm going and I don't; I need to be a whole gear lower.  Being so quiet doesn't help with that, although I really like quiet because it attracts less attention.

There is a replacement tail unit that is said to be much brighter, a Moto Dynamic unit:

http://fj-09.org/thread/929/custom-led-motodynamic-tail-lights

I find the mirrors to be pretty awesome, but that's probably because the mirrors on my old bike were utterly useless, requiring me to lift my arm over my head and look under my armpit to see anything. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
perceptions are weird - my mate who tries to follow me on his ST1300 says the rear lights are okay and the brake light is bright - he knows if he sees it come on there is trouble ahead as I don't use the brakes a lot when trying to ride smoothly and slow enough for him not to get too far behind.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived