Tracer GT mods (after first year)

bikerdup

With almost a year of Tracer 900 GT ownership under my belt, I wanted to share the mods I have made that have improved my ownership and riding experience with this excellent motorcycle.  If someone picks up a mod they want to do, mission accomplished.  List as follows:

1.   Radiator guard (about $25 on eBay)
2.   Extended mirror stalks add 40 mm to stem length.  Now I can see what's behind me.  About $25 off eBay.  I also added mini spot mirrors to eliminate the blind spot.
3.   National Cycle v-Stream windscreen.  They make 3 sizes. I have the middle one.  Manages wind much better than stock unit.  About $170 factory direct.
4.   Front fender extender made by Pyramid Plastics from the UK.  About $40 off ebay  Helps keep rocks from being thrown up into the radiator.
5.   Little anodized knobs/grips that fit over the 14 mm preload adjusters on the forks.  They allow me to adjust preload without tools.  About $10 off eBay.
6.   Adjustable clutch and front brake levers.  These are Chinese knock offs of the much more costly US made units.  They were about $20 off eBay and work very well.
7.   Engine guards.  Chinese made but quite good.  About $30 off eBay
8.   Factory shop manual (carries an actual Yamaha part number).  About $55 off eBay.
9.   Sheep skin seat cover from Alaska Leatherworks.  $54 off eBay.  I highly recommend this comfort addition.  Last Sunday I did a 560 mile day riding home from the north side of Pittsburgh to Travelers Rest, SC and had no seat complaints aside from the minor twinginess you get when you sit that long on anything.
10. Replacement tail light, brake light, turn signal unit from Custom LED in NJ.  About $165 off eBay, but available factory-direct as well.  Gets rid of that God awful snorkel abortion that hangs off the ass end of the bike.  This thing is BRIGHT and gives you a choice among 11 patterns for the brake light.  Really cleans up the back end of the motorcycle and makes you much more visible to following vehicles when you apply the brakes.  You do lose some road water protection if you bag the snorkel.  Your decision if the trade off is worth it for you.
11. Fender eliminator that's needed when you go with #10 above.  I bought a Tail Tidy off eBay for about $35.  It mounts where the snorkel was previously attached.
12. ECU reflash by Ivan Rovinsky of Ivan's Performance Products.  Ivan recently relocated from Upstate NY to Greenville, SC, and I pass right by his shop everyday on my way to work I walked in with my ECU and walked out 15 minutes later with a reflashed unit).  His reflash greatly improved the abrupt on/off throttle response, lowered the "on" temp of the radiator fan to 200, removes the PAIR system from the mix and gave me a small additional horsepower imrovement (based on my "seat of the pants" feel).  $350 well spent.

That's it.  These changes have made the bike much more safe and enjoyable for me.  Keep the rubber side down, all.

Edited by bikerdup
Added content
  • Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1