Dashboard features and accuracy

OLD DVB

Since I bought my GT, I've been thoroughly checking the accuracy of the various readouts on the dash and here's what I found:

Speedo: 7-8% fast (about average for current UK bikes)

Fuel consumed: because I thought this was a great double check on the fuel gauge, I was disappointed to find that it reads 7-10% low.  Of course, I can factor that error in but be warned not to believe the readout as you will suddenly find you have far less fuel than you expected.

MPG (UK):  about 7-10% optimistic - not surprising if it uses the fuel consumed figure for the calculation.  Still - I'm happy with the actual 55+ mpg I'm getting.

Fuel reserve:  I happened to be passing a service station at exactly the moment the Low Fuel warning started to flash.  Pulled in, topped up and the fuel remaining had been EXACTLY the 2.7 litres that the manual quotes.  Congratulations Yamaha.

Odometer and trip meters vary a bit but don't seem to be too different to my SATNAV readings. 

Outside air temperature:  generally matches other forms of measurement but has a tendency to read high in slow traffic or after being stopped.  Probably heat soaking into the air box that clears on the move.

Other readouts (rpm, coolant, instantaneous fuel mpg) are not easily checkable and not too important either.

I'm happy with the information offered on the dash but does anyone reckon there's something extra they'd like?.  A tip to make it more readable, especially the silly small print like the clock, is to run it on the black background night setting.  Oh - and has anyone found a setting for the colour changes on the rev counter that is particularly useful?

• Thumbsup 1

My US model speedometer reads 3 percent high according to several static radar speed traffic monitors, the same as my other recent Yamahas. Fuel useage monitor seems to be spot on. It’s interesting that the bike in different markets has this variation. My main gripe is the small wheel switch that tends to easily slip into other functions when trying to press and adjust grip warmer settings, etc. 

I like the color change feature on the tachometer; I have the transition from black to green at 5,000 rpm, and the green to orange at 10,000. The transition to orange is a good warning that you are getting close to redline.

Edited by kingfisher