new bike, need skid plate

im about to be the proud new owner of a 2017 fj-09 in about a weeks time and want to get advice on skid plates for it. not even sure what is out there, but i want something thats durable and has good amounts of coverage. it also has to be compatible with src crash bars that i plan on purchasing.

Congrats to the FJ - great bike.
A skid plate is a good idea. The ground clearance on the FJ is limited and the stock suspension undersprung. Easy to crack the oil pan - I cracked one and bent a cheap skid plate. Finally got a sw motech plate which held up fine (the sw motech crash bars are great as well).

Here the link to the post with my experience with the FJ09 (traded her recently at 110000 miles):

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, jojosz said:

Congrats to the FJ - great bike.
A skid plate is a good idea. The ground clearance on the FJ is limited

A skid plate is a good idea but at 5.3" ground clearance, the FJ/Tracer is right in the middle of what most "non-adventure" type bikes have for ground clearance.  From sport bikes to standards/nakeds to full on touring bikes, they are all +/- a few millimeters of 5.0".

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

16 minutes ago, betoney said:

A skid plate is a good idea but at 5.3" ground clearance, the FJ/Tracer is right in the middle of what most "non-adventure" type bikes have for ground clearance.  From sport bikes to standards/nakeds to full on touring bikes, they are all +/- a few millimeters of 5.0".

I fully agree with betoney!

The ground clearance and 130mm suspension travel puts the FJ in the sport bike department.
The skid plate is great for potholes, bumps and the occasional unexpected drop-off (quite a bit of that to be found on NY quality roads), but this doesn’t make the FJ an adv bike. Anything other than the occasional well-maintained dry dirt road is just not its purpose. That’s the main reason I switched to a BMW GS...

• Thumbsup 1

i dont plan on taking it on anything more extreme than maybe a dirt road here or there. i realize its not a long travel adventure bike. thats why im going to sell or trade my current versys 650 for a dual sport bike like a dr350 or a xr650, something along those lines for dirt exploration.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...