Lower engine bolt replacement

v1nn1e

My bike had a couple of years living out on the kerbside and it shows with general corrosion here and there.

This includes the lower engine bolts, including the sump ones and I'm wondering about replacing them all, just for a bit of cosmetic bling!

If I were to go ahead, would the threads of the new bolts need a drop of something on them prior to insertion? Either:

• Thread lock?
  • Copper grease?

Anyone know if the factory put something on these bolts before assembly?

Thanks

Edited by v1nn1e
replaced hear with here

The general rule with bolts is to insert them dry otherwise you alter the torque setting required. However, IMHO that only matters when you’re using high torque values or critical bolts. The sump bolts do not use loctite.

To keep the new fasteners in better condition you could replace them with marine grade stainless and give them a quick spray of ACF 50 once they’re tightened.

98867ADE-0504-4716-B7E7-9D9C88157FBB.thumb.png.29f0fee22957874992b085c5c679a73a.png

• Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I have used corrosion X spray. It kills and prevents corrosion. It’s great on aluminum , kind of expensive, but worth it. Probably won’t remove rust from steel but will prevent rust 

https://www.amazon.com/CorrosionX-Aviation-oz-aerosol-80102/dp/B000FOLXFW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=corrosion+x+aerosol&qid=1582576009&sr=8-3

• 2 weeks later...

@v1nn1e, I’ve just started using XCP on my oil cooler, based on this review and also in Motorcycle News. Its similar in action to ACF 50 but leaves a thicker film.

thumb_xcp.ashx

BikeSocial’s seven month, in-depth test of rust proofers for your motorcycle

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)