Stevens Pass Highway - February 2020

daboo

James invited me on a second ride. :)  We headed over to Monroe and rode over Ben Howard Road.  For those not in the area, it is a motorcyclists' dream road.  Hills and dips, twists and turns.  And the unexpected mud on the road from the rain washing out the side roads.  It's always wonderful, but you can't be day-dreaming on it when the conditions are like this.  But still nice.

2HQtOkrKUWfO4SDEUn_eROG5FmwN9oDBWKDPnXsC

nTfOvwOVpl99nVV0AuuMxt45BVxCjaBjiyEERZtG

iID0Eqi7BefNYD7h82hAzoAjs7DV059Kw1vE50E6

UGgVSju_4gZGPdSmS-WQW4jdvuxJ4wI3LRFc9hDS

From there we headed east on US2 to Reiter Road.  I've skipped it in the past.  I think it is delightful and on my list of local roads to explore and enjoy.  If you follow it long enough, it comes into the back of a town called Index.  From there, we headed east on US2 to Skykomish, where we relaxed in some unexpected sun and looked out over the river.

595BUloucuNO1mbc7W2SLtO9itr4m4th--RsGcvf

5fCDa6CisBrmtUyraX08IM1_N07Nw67BMBJ1QsgD

FkeFEIizyeM6GN3th1Iduu8tEG_7RbJKR2L38FTX

kfj1VhI-VGtWLCotz6kT0q7-OU29IBFjvaOpjLDn

T0N23dlrSdZ0q3D7w5O0VpO-3g6DPDvRAxKU322W

-V7YTWj3M7fkxandTYCXZSIZcgVcWjukz7Ji6Nkv

O68G_QVwX27cmwN-XdjJhvLKOSUi5XzNCZbSQJiU

VvQ1YpI6wlvcY3zwCTyW42VLJqs_qJ1ByXiGWAJE

KQFjt_CfK5sjYgGb7aZzT6ccojr0L-WxDTSOw1KS

PFe58bZZfIDX3tWsbpZ3W-R_OpHyRgDUIFfEaEvx

ojXLZBZ09CRAQ9SEcak-C5uVGzurZ_ugmLmWCP1X

This was our turn-around point in Skykomish.  I didn't need it, but I went inside and bought a cup of coffee to help them out.  And to thank them for what they had done a couple months back.  We got some unusual weather and Stevens Pass was closed for days.  The owner drove out to his place to check if the power was out and if everything was okay and found his parking lot full of stranded motorists.  He opened the place up so people could get warm and fed them sandwiches and whatever else he could find.  He did a really good thing.

IKEp23faWiYNqY5beGkKRjj71fGbEANQzJvwDquM

Chris

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 6

The weather limits riding in the PNW by more than simply riding in rain.  That's not fun, but it is totally doable with the right gear.  More limiting is the snow in the higher elevations.

On another forum, a doctor from New Jersey decided to take a cross-country trip out here to experience some of the fantastic scenery we have.  It was a waste of his time.  He hit rain every day and wasn't thrilled to ride in rain.  Worse though, he headed over to Mt. St. Helens with a friend of mine and they hit fog so deep from the snow that they couldn't see more than a few feet in front of them.  And many of the treasures we have, can't be reached till the snow is plowed.

But when you can get out...the scenery is drop-dead gorgeous!  :)

Chris

• Like 1