Custom LED vs Motodynamic tail lights

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Yup
Thanks
Hello, I have just installed the Custom LED tail light. Everything is "working" as it should. I have tapped into the dark green wire with the green wire from the new tail light but am not getting any flash from the stock signals. I have heard this work but am not sure what im missing. Also, I was under the impressing with the stock, no LED signals the flash rate would be normal but its currently fast. Will this get fixed with the correct splicing into the stock signals or do I need to order a different flasher? 
Thanks
Joe

Not if he retains the stock turn signal lamps. They are regular bulbs, and will flash the right rate if they are all connected. You only need to change the flash module if you go all LED, the resistance is too low to operate a standard "flasher" unit with the bending wire contact setup. (Not enough heat to bend the wire enough to get a longer flash rate.)

The LED ones are digital, v/s "mechanical" like the old school flashers that rely on the heat generated by the resistance/load of the lamps to heat up the wire, and pull it away from the contact point longer since it was hotter, and the "Wire" is bi-metal, so when heated, it "Bends" and then cools and contact is made again, it heats and on and on it goes. The fast rate is due to the much lower load, it only heats the wire slightly, so it only bends away slightly, and returns to contact faster, thus the faster flash rate... :)

I've run both on my FZ1, and it worked fine as long as I was running BOTH the stock turn/running lamps, and the LED tail/stop/running lamps. (Figure you can never have too much light on your bike, it's that one vehicle that does not see you that kills you.)

Not if he retains the stock turn signal lamps. They are regular bulbs, and will flash the right rate if they are all connected. You only need to change the flash module if you go all LED, the resistance is too low to operate a standard "flasher" unit with the bending wire contact setup. (Not enough heat to bend the wire enough to get a longer flash rate.) 
The LED ones are digital, v/s "mechanical" like the old school flashers that rely on the heat generated by the resistance/load of the lamps to heat up the wire, and pull it away from the contact point longer since it was hotter, and the "Wire" is bi-metal, so when heated, it "Bends" and then cools and contact is made again, it heats and on and on it goes. The fast rate is due to the much lower load, it only heats the wire slightly, so it only bends away slightly, and returns to contact faster, thus the faster flash rate... :)

I've run both on my FZ1, and it worked fine as long as I was running BOTH the stock turn/running lamps, and the LED tail/stop/running lamps. (Figure you can never have too much light on your bike, it's that one vehicle that does not see you that kills you.)

Right, and they are now working perfectly with the help from Custom Led. My problem was, and ive missed it everywhere I read but you leave the stock ones plugged in and crimp in the new one to them. What I did wrong was I plugged everything in as instructed and tried to attach the old ones to the new connection.  Im happy with it now.

Archived