LaPorte Rd - Downieville loop

maximo

On 10/30/2020 at 7:06 PM, redfjniner said:

Great ride, I have done them all and look we almost stopped in the exact spot for this picture.   The last time I did Bucks Lake I had to take a detour.  Will try again this next year. 

Awesome picture!  🙂 

I have sad news on Bucks Lake Rd.  The North Complex Fire virtually destroyed the road. Because of the heat the asphalt cooked and hardened, and the slightest pressure on it pulverizes the surface. I'm not sure if they'll let it go back to gravel, or if they'll reconstruct the whole thing from the lake down to Berry Creek. Either way, the road will be out of commission for some time. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, maximo said:

Awesome picture!  🙂 

I have sad news on Bucks Lake Rd.  The North Complex Fire virtually destroyed the road. Because of the heat the asphalt cooked and hardened, and the slightest pressure on it pulverizes the surface. I'm not sure if they'll let it go back to gravel, or if they'll reconstruct the whole thing from the lake down to Berry Creek. Either way, the road will be out of commission for some time. 

Wow, sorry to hear that. After all of the praise this loop gets, I was planning a late Spring ride to No.Cal specifically just to check it out.  

If you hear any updates, keep us informed. 👍🏻

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 minutes ago, betoney said:

Wow, sorry to hear that. After all of the praise this loop gets, I was planning a late Spring ride to No.Cal specifically just to check it out.  

If you hear any updates, keep us informed. 👍🏻

Let me know if you make that trip.  I will be in Incline from June 13-18, Sun-Fri. 

Betoney only indicated Bucks Lake was out of the picture, I'm assuming the three he had noted in his write up are still accessible. 

• Thumbsup 2

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

1 hour ago, redfjniner said:

, I'm assuming the three he had noted in his write up are still accessible. 

All other roads in the area are fine.  I will say that as a general statement many of our favorite roads in NorCal took a beating this year due to fires. AFAIK only Bucks Lake Rd disintegrated. But others bear the scars of heavy machinery, fire apparatus, and yet to come is the abuse of logging trucks hauling out all the dead timber. So yes, the other roads are all good, just expect a pothole or two more than usual. 

• Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current