LaPorte Rd - Downieville loop

maximo

I took advantage of the day off work to ride a short loop. After waiting for the day to warm up a bit, I took off from home, and threaded through a number of backroads, skirting by a various footprints of recent wildfires: the Camp Fire, Wall Fire, Ponderosa Fire, Wind Complex Fire, and the still smoldering site of 3 fires around Bangor we had this week. An ominous reminder that we live in fire country, and always have to be on guard. 

I crossed over the impressive Bullard's Bar dam, which is tucked away in a somewhat remote area, yet is the 2nd tallest in California (coincidentally, I passed by the tallest one earlier in the day, Oroville Dam), and the 5th tallest in the US. It's an impressive feat of engineering. Definitely worth a drive by if you're in the area. 

I soon hit Highway 49, and despite it being a holiday weekend, I had the road mostly to myself. The flowing curves, smooth pavement, and lovely scenery make this one of my favorite roads to enjoy a leisurely ride.

I say leisurely because a few years ago I was pulled over by a deputy in an unmarked vehicle after I passed him on a curve at near triple digits. He gave me a stern lecture, and said that if I promised to slow it down and ride 49 more reasonably he'd let me go with a slap on the wrist. So I try to make good on my word. 

Once up past Sierra City, I veered onto Gold Lake Highway and stopped to stare at the gorgeous Sierra Buttes. This would be the only picture I'd take through the day. 

Stopped for a quick fill up at Graeagle, then scootched further down the way and connected with LaPorte Rd just outside Quincy.  This is one of the most underrated, underriden roads I know. It has everything: tight, technical sections, flowing sweepers, tons of elevation change, 1000 foot drop offs, stunning scenery, and very little traffic or LEO presence.  Common sense and self preservation are the only limits. 

I shut off the music in my helmet and put all my energy to simply enjoying this marvelous gift of a road. 

Altogether too soon I was on the downhill side of LaPorte, winding my way home back to Chico. 

Six hours of saddle time, many more hours than that of grins. 

IMG_20200703_102333685.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
20 minutes ago, maximo said:

a few years ago I was pulled over by a deputy in an unmarked vehicle after I passed him on a curve at near triple digits. He gave me a stern lecture, and said that if I promised to slow it down and ride 49 more reasonably he'd let me go with a slap on the wrist.

Ride 49 reasonably... 😄    I just have to say the word "Downieville" to my riding buddies and they all get a knowing smirk, mucho shenanigans!

I truly don't think riders from other parts of the country can appreciate the level of riding that is available in your area, the entirety of N.Ca. is some of the most amazing riding I have ever experienced.👍

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

11 hours ago, betoney said:

I truly don't think riders from other parts of the country can appreciate the level of riding that is available in your area, the entirety of N.Ca. is some of the most amazing riding I have ever experienced.👍

So much this. After living in N. CA for so many years, I just can't get excited about "The Dragon". It's a damn good road, but nothing special by N.CA standards. 

That being said, Western N. Carolina does have some great roads.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

4 hours ago, taylormade21 said:

Thanks for sharing...I haven't made my way up there yet. I should just do it.

There's a lot to ride in this neck of the woods. When you do come up this way drop me a line, let me know how many hours of saddle time you want, and the kind of riding you like best. I can help craft a route for you. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

5 hours ago, koth442 said:

That being said, Western N. Carolina does have some great roads.

I have a close buddy that moved from Boston to Robbinsville, NC  a few years ago, and he would not stop talking about the NC roads, especially the dragon. He'd send pictures and articles, and they all looked legitimately great. But he just went on and on.  A couple of years ago he and a riding buddy  had the chance to come out and ride a week with me here. Two days into our ride, we had hit 32, 96, Callahan Rd, Mattole Rd, and had just finished the Hwy 1 stretch between Legget and Ft. Bragg, we stopped for a meal and my friend's bud came out and said "you know what, I'm going to shut up about The Dragon. Sure, it's great, but I've realized that here it would be just another good road." 

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to spending a week with him in NC and riding the treasures they have there. They look amazing! 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, betoney said:

Ride 49 reasonably... 😄    I just have to say the word "Downieville" to my riding buddies and they all get a knowing smirk, mucho shenanigans!

It is SO hard not to ride it WFO!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maximo said:

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to spending a week with him in NC and riding the treasures they have there. They look amazing!

You'll love it! 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• 2 weeks later...

Yessir Maximo, always love doing this loop.  I just make sure we go up the Quincy/LaPorte road and not down, as it's a brake burner dropping the summit back towards Hwy 70/89.  Once was enough.  Next time you do it, stop in Brownsville(just past the Forbestown turnoff) at the Golden Eagle Market for some grub when they reopen.  Burned down awhile back and it's being rebuilt.  Great sandwiches and a chicken & spuds lunch box that's lights out.  We'll scoot over from Reno just to grab some lunch and of course, to enjoy the scoot.😀

Edited by nvzman

33 minutes ago, nvzman said:

Next time you do it, stop in Brownsville(just past the Forbestown turnoff) at the Golden Eagle Market for some grub when they reopen. 😀

Good tip! I don't often stop for food (cuts into the riding time!), but for a good recommendation I'll make an exception, then keep going after that (Like I used to stop at the Fat Bottom Grill in Portola all the time). 

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, nvzman said:

Yessir Maximo, always love doing this loop.  I just make sure we go up the Quincy/LaPorte road and not down, as it's a brake burner dropping the summit back towards Hwy 89.  Once was enough. 

@nvzman and @maximo - So, I have had this loop on my radar for quite awhile.  If I make it down there this season, its recommended to ride it counter clock-wise from Oroville to Quincy?   Just how steep is the grade anyway?  Ebbets and Sonora Passes are 23-26% and those are perfectly fine by me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

betoney:  Not sure what degree steepness it is coming down from LaPorte to Hwy 70/89.  It's all the tight turns you have to contend with.  You spend a lot of time on the binders.  Going up from the Hwy 70/89 side, you really get to work the gearbox, sometimes even down to first gear depending on what kind of scooter you're on.  If you're coming up from Oroville, I like to take the Oro Quincy Hwy(162) that takes you up past Bucks Lake and into Quincy.  Or even Hwy 70(Feather River Canyon).  It all depends what you enjoy the most.  Hell, if a fella doesn't have any time constraints, do the LaPorte road both ways.  It's a win-win.

Edited by nvzman
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, nvzman said:

It's a win-win.

Yes to all the above. The grade on LaPorte isn't as steep as Sonora or Ebbets Pass, but NVZ is correct in that how the road is laid out on the steeper section, including some gnarly decreasing radius turns with zero room for error (and I mean 1,000 foot drop if you overcook it), it's a better experience going uphill on it. 

Here's the simplified version: you essentially have 4 delicious roads crossing the mountains in this general area. North to south they are:

1. Hwy 70 (Feather River Canyon)

2. Hwy 162 (Bucks Lake Rd, aka Oro Quincy Hwy)

3. LaPorte Rd

4. Hwy 49 (Downieville Rd)

Of these, Hwy 70 and Hwy 49 can be enjoyed either direction, there isn't clearly a better direction than the other.

Of the other two: Hwy 162 is best enjoyed going West to East and LaPorte Rd is best enjoyed East to West.

You can easily do all 4 in a day. I would start at the bottom, go first on Downieville Rd up into the mountains, then connect with LaPorte Rd, back down off the mountains, then connect with Hwy 162 up the mountains, and from Quincy go back to the valley via Hwy 70. 

This is a great day ride, which still gives you plenty of time before or after to head to your next destination.   Something like this  

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Great ride, I have done them all and look we almost stopped in the exact spot for this picture.  Mine was in 2018 coming home from my week in Incline.  I  usually come over on 89 and either head west on 49 or the Laport road and East on Bucks Lake.  The last time I did Bucks Lake I had to take a detour.  Will try again this next year.  This year I drove down to Incline, thats a first in 20 years.  Thanks for the write up, people need to know.

P1060529ec.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)