Electric motor sound

2019 GT has sat for a month, found dead battery.  Tried to install new battery.  After connecting the negative, tried to connect the ground.  Every time I touched the ground an electric motor sound came on.  Seems to be located if front of the battery area.  No idea what is going on.  Of course cannot connect ground and nothing else works.  Think whatever the electric motor sound is ran down the battery after I parked it a month ago.  Any ideas?

• Supporting Member

Hi @Mike A - Are you absolutely sure you have the polarity on the battery correct?   The battery lays on its side in these bikes, and if you try and install it in the ‘conventional’ upright position, you end up with the terminals reversed.   There have been several instances of this reported here on the forum, and that electric humming noise up under the tank is a telltale symptom.    

Fortunately, it doesn’t seem to cause any permanent damage.  You’ll likely find a couple of blown fuses, but once you replace those the bike should fire right up.

Good luck, and let us know what you find.   

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@Mike A - I agree with @texscottyd about the battery orientation but something else is going on.  A newer battery shouldn't go dead in 30 days with no use.  Have you wired in any electrical devices straight to the battery?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***