Low Speed Death Wobble

I think I posted these in another thread on here a wee while ago? Just two pieces of box section aluminium extrusion. I used to use bungee chords to pull them together against back tyre, but I went all pro and drilled a couple of holes to use a threaded rod to do the job, ha ha. Length shown in third pic is pretty much minimum, the GT is a bit longer than my Daytona. I have yet to get a pic of them on the bike, will post when I can get around to it. I also remember that you need the center stand up to do this, so used a paddock stand. I'm an engineer and have various paddock stands for other bikes, so for me this method is easy and cheap. I appreciate if you don't have stands and have to buy the extrusion this method would be difficult and costly perhaps. The string method is also very good if this is the case. Cheers MK.

P1010224.JPG

P1010225.JPG

P1010226.JPG

i watch a youtube somewhere can't recall, one of the wobble cud also be due to SAG/Suspension settings. find it hard to believe but since don't require major ops, might be worth a try. 

On 7/11/2020 at 7:43 AM, Stew said:

Front wheel missing any balance weights? ...

Balance was the first thing I thought of. My '86 Interceptor had a funky tire in front that was out of balance, and it would do a "death wobble" as slow as 30 mph. Trying to figure out if it was happening when accelerating, slowing down, yielded no result. Changing the front tire eliminated it completely.

I tire can become unbalanced just as a result of normal riding as it wears and looses rubber.  I mount and balance my own tires, so whenever I have a wheel off for other reason I check the balance and often have to change weights.

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Sorry for not replying on this...been enjoying what little summer we've had before it's over!  Tightening those anti-vibration bar risers must have done the trick as it hasn't happened again...I did try that same rough road a few weeks later but they actually repaved it.

I'm guessing with the anti vibration risers not tightened up, the rubber isolators had enough give for the bars to give a similar effect as taking your hands off the bars.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Jeff said:

... I'm guessing with the anti vibration risers not tightened up, the rubber isolators had enough give for the bars to give a similar effect as taking your hands off the bars.

Glad it hasn't recurred - but "a similar effect as taking your hands off the bars" would not CAUSE a wobble.  But if there was something going on (as others have mentioned) the act of having a good, stable grip on the bars would act kind of like a steering stabilizer. 

Learn why GPR's steering stabilizers are the best. Designed &...

My money is on the front tire being the culprit, and likely out of balance. How many miles on the front tire, and was it smooth as silk when first installed? Could have been out of balance from day 1. You already checked the steering bearings and ruled out other causes.

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

Glad it hasn't recurred - but "a similar effect as taking your hands off the bars" would not CAUSE a wobble.  But if there was something going on (as others have mentioned) the act of having a good, stable grip on the bars would act kind of like a steering stabilizer. 

The above may be true if I had solid risers so I'm guessing the rough road caused a harmonic in the front forks that was compounded by a bouncing effect with the rubber in the isolators...even with a stable grip on the bars, the forks can still move independent of the bars.  Out of curiosity this evening, I sat on the bike and moved the bars left and right fairly rapidly and could feel a slight "flex" in relation to the forks.  I then backed the riser bolts off a full turn, did it again and could definitely feel the bars flexing a lot.  When I researched the risers, I did notice a few people complained about the steering feeling loose, but seeing as my riding is 99% hwy that's probably why I never noticed an issue.  

My front tire is fine, bike only has 3400 km and all highway plus I would think a tire out of balance at 20 km/hr would have to be seriously out to have any effect at that low speed?

I may ditch the vibration damper risers and get some solid ones for peace of mind...

For those who aren't familiar with them, here is a link:

Edited by Fat Jeff