Rear Brake Sticking

• Supporting Member

Finished a sprocket and chain swap this afternoon. Put everything back together and took it for a ride and discovered I had zero rear brake, and almost no resistance (pressure?) on the lever; and when I got home the rotor was hot enough to burn me almost instantly. Thinking maybe I misaligned the axle or over-torqued something I took it all apart, re-lubed and torqued per manual and put it back together again. Same thing.

I bled rear, full flushed, popped piston out and cleaned, etc. Nothing has helped, each ride I have zero rear braking power, zero pressure in the lever, and an extremely hot rotor.

It is difficult to move the rear wheel when bike is on the center-stand; the piston retracts *just* enough that I can use my hand to pull back the closest side brake pad so it isn't stuck on the rotor, once I apply the lever again the pad stays stuck. I Also have enough pressure that I can bleed the rear brake, but when I put my foot down nothing happens as mentioned above.

Only thing I can think of during the process today that would cause this is that I pushed in the caliper piston to stuff some rags in it so I could rest it on the swing arm while working. Is it possible I burst a seal in the master cylinder in doing so? Is there anything else I'm missing that could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

• Supporting Member
39 minutes ago, jthayer09 said:

Finished a sprocket and chain swap this afternoon. Put everything back together and took it for a ride and discovered I had zero rear brake, and almost no resistance (pressure?) on the lever; and when I got home the rotor was hot enough to burn me almost instantly. Thinking maybe I misaligned the axle or over-torqued something I took it all apart, re-lubed and torqued per manual and put it back together again. Same thing.

I bled rear, full flushed, popped piston out and cleaned, etc. Nothing has helped, each ride I have zero rear braking power, zero pressure in the lever, and an extremely hot rotor.

It is difficult to move the rear wheel when bike is on the center-stand; the piston retracts *just* enough that I can use my hand to pull back the closest side brake pad so it isn't stuck on the rotor, once I apply the lever again the pad stays stuck. I Also have enough pressure that I can bleed the rear brake, but when I put my foot down nothing happens as mentioned above.

Only thing I can think of during the process today that would cause this is that I pushed in the caliper piston to stuff some rags in it so I could rest it on the swing arm while working. Is it possible I burst a seal in the master cylinder in doing so? Is there anything else I'm missing that could cause this?

Thanks in advance.

10 pages of troubleshooting.  Have fun reading or just skip to page 10... Spoiler Alert: cross threaded caliper mount bolt.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, jthayer09 said:

Thank you! That was the fix, I'll comment on the other thread as I have some further questions.

Glad it was a quick and easy fix for you.😎👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***