Talk me out of the FJ-09

Exactly!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           There are so many good reasons to finance things in general, and vehicles in particular, I'm surprised so many stick to the old saw "if you have to finance, you can't afford it..."

Putting aside for the moment that if it weren't possible to finance so many different things, the US economy would, quite frankly, implode, this particular buying decision comes down to finance rates and rate of return of alternative uses, among other things.

Many of the smartest (and wealthiest) people I know rarely, if ever, buy a vehicle outright.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/93/talk-me-out-fj-09?page=1#ixzz3OEsI28G4

Everyday of our lives we make decisions and do those thing that are right for us. No one can make that "right decision" for us.
Sailorjack34, you need to make the decision that feels best to you, the one that brings you the most comfort, and the one you can sleep with.

New motorcycles come along and we get excited and lust for our next new toy, the perfect one..... until the next new motorcycle comes along. To me it seems you've got something even better then the next new perfect motorcycle, that's a wife that is ready to support your decision.

Paul

Guest eatpasta
Buying any motorcycle new is a bad idea right from the offset. Very rarely do bikes not depreciate at an alarming rate.
The FJR I bought is a perfect example. When I bought it, the bike was four years old and I got it for less than half what the original owner paid. Now having said all that, Im still willing to put the money up for this bike because it's the bike I want, and Im going to put a lot of miles on it.
All of that aside - once I've sold the FJR and I'm ready to wheel and deal for an FJ-09, Im still going to check the used market....

:)

Everyday of our lives we make decisions and do those thing that are right for us. No one can make that "right decision" for us. Sailorjack34, you need to make the decision that feels best to you, the one that brings you the most comfort, and the one you can sleep with.

New motorcycles come along and we get excited and lust for our next new toy, the perfect one..... until the next new motorcycle comes along. To me it seems you've got something even better then the next new perfect motorcycle, that's a wife that is ready to support your decision.

Paul
You hit the nail on the head.  There's always something new we feel we "must have".  I'll probably end up waiting awhile for a nice used one to show up with all the mods I want already done.  That's what I keep telling myself at least.

I have a bike in my garage that's 32 years old this April with over 69,000 miles. I put all those miles on it. I saw it in the crate and I was the first customer to ride it. I bought it as soon as I got back from the test ride. It kind of fun to say that at bike nights. Definitely worth the depreciation when prorated. I've also had 12-15 used bikes, and as special as some of them were, the new ones were more special.
Yamadog

XS650H
XVZ1200
FJ1200

Everyday of our lives we make decisions and do those thing that are right for us. No one can make that "right decision" for us. Sailorjack34, you need to make the decision that feels best to you, the one that brings you the most comfort, and the one you can sleep with.

Paul
You hit the nail on the head.  There's always something new we feel we "must have".  I'll probably end up waiting awhile for a nice used one to show up with all the mods I want already done.  That's what I keep telling myself at least.
At the end of summer you WILL see some used ones for sale. It happens every year on every bike. Usually, on new models there are a few folks waiting in the wings for exactly that scenario, so you are not alone. It is a well honed strategy for the prudent and responsible folks among us. Over time, this strategy will net you a much larger bank account and a much nicer retirement. The first few used ones that show up for sale will disappear quickly especially if  dealer stock is limited on new ones. 

What are you riding now?

Yup, right now that's the plan. Try to be responsible.

I'm currently riding.......nothing.

I sold my Ninja 1000 last month. I do have a 1987 Honda Fat Cat in the garage that takes me through the woods and I have a mini-gp race ready TTR-125 currently getting the suspension sorted for this season of racing but nothing for the street.

I'm on craigslist daily looking for a cheap used ride to hold me over until used FJ-09's start showing. Right now a nice 98-01 VFR is at the top of the list but I'm in no hurry for that either with snow and ice on the ground.

I'm going to the International Motorcycle Show in DC tomorrow so who knows. I may get a wild hair and buy something new. Probably not but my will is only so strong.

Archived