Yamaha Radiator Cover...

• Premium Member
I just mounted the Evotech one and all I had to remove is the two lower front side fairings (the ones with the turn signals mounted on them. The instructions are online here:

http://www.evotech-performance.com/media/uploads/012204MT09TracerRadiatorGuardInstructions.pdf

I like it for several reasons over the EBay Chinese ones. It is tastefully done. The only logo is the embossed Evotech logo and it is so subtle it is difficult to even pick it out.  It wraps around the radiator without leaving any fins exposed. It mounts with OEM mounting points (no zipties, WTF?), and even has strips of self-adhesive foam between it and the radiator so it won't buzz or rattle. I am very pleased with it. Installation was very easy, took about 10 minutes to install using only a 4mm allen t-handle and a #2 phillips screwdriver.

evotech-radguard-2.jpg

Wow, that *is* an easy install. And the guard looks to be very well made, good on ya!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I just received my evotech radiator guard.

It is so twisted I don't see how it will lay flat enough to fit well against bracket, foam, etc.

If I lay it down on a flat with three corners sort of flat the fourth corner is up a couple inches.

Haven't tried to put it on yet but wished it was at least closer to flat to fit better.

Was yours this "sprung" before installation?

• Premium Member
It is so twisted I don't see how it will lay flat enough to fit well against bracket, foam, etc.

If I lay it down on a flat with three corners sort of flat the fourth corner is up a couple inches.

Haven't tried to put it on yet but wished it was at least closer to flat to fit better.

I think the stamped pattern on the front (not the holes but the raised area) looks sort of odd but maybe it is designed to give the face strength?

Mine was warped too, but fastened down very easily following the instructions.  It was so inconsequential I forgot to mention it.  

thanks, I'll give it a go. Some warp is to be expected, but mine seems really twisted alot.

I also received my pyramid fenda extender.  I thought i was receing the one with the adhesive pieces, but I received the one with plastic rivets.

I live on a half mile gravel road and just to drive the bike to the pavement puts tons of debris on my radiator so the fender extender is critical imo.

Unfortunately I recently had to have surgery and it will be a few more weeks before I can do much, including mess with my new bike.  Lucklily I managed to find time to put 1100 miles on it mostly in the first week (and it rained every day).

• Premium Member

I think the stamped pattern on the front (not the holes but the raised area) looks sort of odd but maybe it is designed to give the face strength?

Mine was warped too, but fastened down very easily following the instructions.  It was so inconsequential I forgot to mention it.  
My EvoTech guard was also warped/sprung, but it was a non-issue once mounted.

• 9 months later...
Thanks for the link! I ordered the Evotech-Performance radiator guard from Motostarz. 
Shipping from Motostarz was delayed a couple weeks, but their communication up front about the delay was great.

Installation of this guard was as easy as it gets.  The quality seems above average and the embossed logo is subtle.  I highly recommend both Motostarz and the Evotech-Performance radiator guard.

The only issue I encountered with installation was with re-installation of the outer plastic body panels.  The male nubs didn't want to go into the rubber grommets without pushing them into the fairing.  I sprayed some white lithium grease on the male nubs and they slid right in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I made the mistake of ordering the RG unit. Fit is poor-not parallel with the rad tank on the right, with a even larger strip (`8mm) of exposed fins on the left. Waste of time, to include arranging a return if possible, and starting over with the evotech. Seems like a bad idea to mount a fragile radiator behind a wheel with no protection in the 1st place.
Edit: Kudos to Revzilla for accepting the return on an installed part. :)

Archived