Help! Screwed up threads on countershaft.

While taking off the front sprocket nut I screwed up some of the threads on the countershaft trying to bend out the two stalked tabs. So now I need to find a die or a thread file to clean up the threads. I need to know the thread size and pitch of the counter shaft. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m really just dejected about the whole dang thing. I’m supposed to be leaving on the 10th for a 6 day trip up thru Northern California along the coast and don’t want to have to cancel it. Taking time off work this week to get the problem fixed is a no go which is adding to my stress. 

Thanks guys. 694FF864-3784-44F9-95AE-D1F74D73BBC3.thumb.jpeg.d3e42cfb4734efa1c21d4eb64f99f3ac.jpeg4B1E036B-D87D-4BB2-8DA8-D24A131A31CD.thumb.jpeg.deae337a98919a58b2733bdc60f821f7.jpeg

• Supporting Member

That does not look too terrible. What @stumpy said...and some patience. Might not be necessary, but you could buy a second new nut to right/clean the thread on the shaft when you're close to done with the filing and the nut can catch true. Oil the thread for that. Have a good trip.

• Thumbsup 4

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member

@whitecrow - Relax, breathe... you’re going to be fine.   Since you got the nut off, it already cleaned up the threads and fixed part of the problem.   Do you have a new countershaft nut to use?  If you lubricate it and thread it back on, you may find that it goes on just fine.  

If not, don’t force the issue, and clean up as described above.  Patience is your friend...   The important threads at the bottom are fine, so it’s just the ones out there by the staking recess that need a little TLC.  

And enjoy your trip!  :)  

• Thumbsup 5

17 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

@whitecrow - Relax, breathe... you’re going to be fine.   Since you got the nut off, it already cleaned up the threads and fixed part of the problem.   Do you have a new countershaft nut to use?  If you lubricate it and thread it back on, you may find that it goes on just fine.  

If not, don’t force the issue, and clean up as described above.  Patience is your friend...   The important threads at the bottom are fine, so it’s just the ones out there by the staking recess that need a little TLC.  

And enjoy your trip!  :)  

Thanks  for your reply. Yes I do have a new countershaft nut, but when I went to thread it back on it bound up so I stopped and backed it off so I didn’t hurt the threads on the nut. I thought by taking the old nut off that it would clean up the threads but the nut is a very soft metal so I don’t think it did much in the way of cleaning up the damaged threads. If I can find out the thread size and pitch of the countershaftI can get a die or a thread file and go to work on the threads but I can’t find the size. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stumpy said:

thread file and a small triangle file...take your time and make sure to be using the right thread pitch on the thread file.

Do you happen to know the thread pitch by chance?

Thanks

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, whitecrow said:

Do you happen to know the thread pitch by chance?

Thanks

I believe it is 1.0. I have a spare and had a look.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• 2 weeks later...