TomTom Rider on/off with ignition has changed

My TomTom Rider 400, powered through the 12V cigarette outlet, used to turn on & off with my ignition switch.  Recently I unplugged it to mount handlebar risers.  After I reconnected it, it no longer turns on nor off with the ignition switch; I have to manually do it.  Any ideas what happened?  (I've reached out to TomTom support, but wanted to check you guys, too).  Thank you.

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, R.C. said:

My TomTom Rider 400, powered through the 12V cigarette outlet, used to turn on & off with my ignition switch.  Recently I unplugged it to mount handlebar risers.  After I reconnected it, it no longer turns on nor off with the ignition switch; I have to manually do it.  Any ideas what happened?  (I've reached out to TomTom support, but wanted to check you guys, too).  Thank you.

What happens when you use it with another power source like 12v socket in the car or a/c outlet plug in?  Does it turn on when you plug it in and lose power when you unplug it like as if you were using the key?  That will tell you if the unit is working correctly or if there is a power issue with the bike.

Simple troubleshooting first before calling Tom Tom.

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I am wondering if the socket attached to the Tom Tom is getting power and when you turn on the Tom Tom it is actually running off the battery.  When I use the cigarette socket with a USB power port it does not always power up.

Edited by vincep
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

The source of power you connect to can be either Switched (it only works when the key is switched on) or Un-Switched (it will work, and draw power from the battery even if the switch is off, or until the battery dies)

If you had the power connected to a switched source previously, but connected it to a non-switched source after your installation, that might explain the difference now. Check to see if you have power to the socket with the bike (and key) turned off. If not, try again with the bike turned on. If that works, you just need to find a different source to connect the TomTom to that is switched.

• Thanks 1

Well, after messing around with fuses, a continuity tester and a mulitmeter, I found the problem: the TomTom head unit was not fully seated in the Active Dock, so it wasn't making electrical contact.  When I repositioned the unit I had it too low; it was hitting the handlebar thus not allowing it to fully seat.  

So, what'd I learn?  Check the easy stuff first before getting excited.  

• Like 1