Garmin 595 loom surgery

Coop

Garmin has graciously provided a wiring loom with lots of unwanted leads.  I've done one already that just left a power cable, but on this one I'm thinking about adding audio out to my power cable.  The gps is mounted high on the Madstad plate so it wouldn't take much power cable to tap into the 2 amp feeds behind the windshield.  The scary part is the audio out.  I'm thinking of just using a stub and securing it to the power cable.  I hope you are as confused as I am now.  Has anyone tried this already?

38 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

I just rolled it all up and stashed in inside the tin box the aux connector lives in.

It had previously been coiled up between the glove box & the outer fairing on the FJR.

30k miles on the GPS, to date haven’t done anything other than tape over all the “extras”...

It must be a tight fit getting all that wire into that little space.  I need to pull the windshield and stuff to remove the power cable from my previous surgery.  I could bundle the loom in there and put the audio out plug out the plug on the right side.  I could even cut the unwanted wires off the 20 plug and trim off the legs of the big spider.  

I got into this because I'm trying to do away with  Sena 20.  I have enough stuff to keep charged and I was using Er6i's anyway.  I might even make a permanent mount for it.  

Pic from day job. 

It “fit” coiled up just fine, but not much room left.

Can see the case for the audio connection. My solution is def not very elegant...do like the high Madstad mount tho.

Still campaigning the first set of Sena (5?) I bought years ago. Did have to put a Chinese lithium battery in mine a few years back. 

Regards;

Mark

0B6804A2-FCB4-429A-8835-4F7C690852FD.jpeg

1 hour ago, thewrenchbender said:

Pic from day job. 

Can see the case for the audio connection. My solution is def not very elegant...do like the high Madstad mount tho.

Still campaigning the first set of Sena (5?) I bought years ago. Did have to put a Chinese lithium battery in mine a few years back. 

Regards;

Mark

How did you get a picture of my garage?  LOL!  I never really got comfortable with the Sena and I've been a long way without comm and I'm not touring any more.  My bud is in worse shape than me  and he's moved to Georgia.

4 hours ago, thewrenchbender said:

Pic from day job. 

Regards;

Mark

I snipped the unwanted leads and their connections on the 20 pin.  It should coil a little better now and leave some room.

When Dad was working  on de Haviland Beavers he brought a book home that was about 3/4 in thick that told all about the plane.  I'm guessing the books are thicker now.  

7 hours ago, Coop said:

I snipped the unwanted leads and their connections on the 20 pin.  It should coil a little better now and leave some room.

When Dad was working  on de Haviland Beavers he brought a book home that was about 3/4 in thick that told all about the plane.  I'm guessing the books are thicker now.  

That's what I did with my garmin harness... they don't touch anything so no harm no foul.

4 hours ago, mellow said:

That's what I did with my garmin harness... they don't touch anything so no harm no foul.

After looking at all that wire I have to wonder what the heck were they thinking.  

On 11/8/2020 at 4:28 PM, thewrenchbender said:

Pic from day job. 

Regards;

Mark

Tight fit?  Uh Huh!

47 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

One of the first biz jets I worked on was a Hawker 700. Actually I guess first biz jet I worked on was a Lear 24D...

Definitely 10 pounds of shite in a 5 pound bag.

Useta take care of a Beaver on amphib floats also back in-the-day. 

A beaver on floats is so cool.

One of my bosses way back when had a 1/5 share of a Super Viking.  He conned me into helping him finish a roofing job on our days off.  We could have gotten through faster except all hammering stopped when an airplane came over and didn't start again until it was out of sight.  My bonus was a ride in the Vike.  Airplanes are much cooler than helicopters.  He later sold his share just before some one landed gear up.  I was a beautiful airplane.