Looking for input.

• Premium Member

South Florida got about 15 inches of rain in the last 24 hours. Some parts got more. While running errands today I ended up in some ankle-deep water.  By "ankle-deep" I mean that it was over my ankles while standing on my foot pegs . So.... 18 inches + maybe more with the wake of cars going the other direction.

Nothing bad happened. AFAIK .The exhaust was underwater. The chain for sure . Where is the crankcase breather? Was it underwater?  There is no obvious moisture in the oil via the sightglass. 

Got home, cleaned and lubed everything. Am I missing anything?  🤷‍♂️

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about the cranks breather of the engine is running it is creating positive pressure that will keep water out and that should be vented to the air box anyway. Can't wait I will be moving down there in 7 days 

• Thumbsup 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Should be OK, would look at wheel bearings just to make sure no water stays in there - I think this is a minor risk/issue.  IMO the biggest risk is getting water in the airbag that gets into the engine and then hydrolocks it - you would have known that immediately.  Presume you rode it for a while afterwards to let the engine heat dry everything out.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Should be OK, would look at wheel bearings just to make sure no water stays in there - I think this is a minor risk/issue.  IMO the biggest risk is getting water in the airbag that gets into the engine and then hydrolocks it - you would have known that immediately.  Presume you rode it for a while afterwards to let the engine heat dry everything out.  

Yeah I rode it for another hour and a bit.... I'm just not sure what was underwater.  It was about 100 yards of real slogging. 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member

As a resident of the Pacific Northwest, I have ridden my Tracer and my old FJ-09 in similar conditions a few times, and in water a whole lot of times. I have never had an issue after riding in the wet stuff, and now I don't even worry about it. Wheel bearings should be fine, but you can give them a visual inspection if you are worried.

One thing to help is think about where the water came  up to on your riding boots or leg. That will give you a pretty good idea about how high the water level actually was. In situations like this, it always seems higher than it really is, and I can't think of anything at the bottom of the engine that would be negatively impacted by riding a short distance through water. If the bike was that susceptible damage from going through water, riding in the Pacific Northwest wouldn't be possible....... Although lubing your chain would be a good thing right about now........

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

@DavidS

I've ridden through torrential rain for hours without a problem. This is the tropics. 😀 I recently rode from Lake City FL to Dublin GA on the way to Murphy NC in rain so hard that my GPS couldn't pick up satellites. That took 4+ hours. 😱   I'm no stranger to standing water but this was above my boots and with the oncoming cars creating bow wake. It was coming in the top of the boot. This picture shows the boot and the likely water line. It's something I've never encountered on my FJ.

20201109_201311[336].jpg

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I Can't wait I will be moving down there in 7 days 

I remember you saying that? Forgive me I don't remember where. So where?

There is nothing substantially different  in a street bike construction vs a dirt bike and I plow my dirt bike through knee deep water pretty often.  On a running engine crank case breather below water level is not really an issue.  Oil seals at wheel bearings, counter & shift shafts keep oils and greases in so also keep water out.  Modern electronics and ignition systems are all very well sealed these days.

I’ve always found riding in a down poor is the best way to clean the bugs out of the radiators.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, fddriver2 said:

I remember you saying that? Forgive me I don't remember where. So where?

I will be living in North Port, about abeam Venice and 15mi inland. We will have to get together and go for a ride. You can take the XR1200 out for a spin with the full hammer build, she puts down 108hp at 91ftpds at the rear wheel.                                                                                         Looking at the picture your showing and how high the water was, check you rear brake reservoir for contamination.  

• Thumbsup 1

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

I will be living in North Port, about abeam Venice and 15mi inland. We will have to get together and go for a ride. You can take the XR1200 out for a spin with the full hammer build, she puts down 108hp at 91ftpds at the rear wheel.                                                                                         Looking at the picture your showing and how high the water was, check you rear brake reservoir for contamination.  

Absolutely !!!

• Thumbsup 1

We have been going down to Longboat Key for many years.  Unfortunately haven't taken my bike the last 3 years - have risen down several times.  Some of the worst thunderstorms I've been caught in have been going down there.  One time was caught between Columbus and Albany GA, wind and rain were fierce, then lightning so caught shelter in a closed gas station.  Sat and the bike equidistant between two islands but had a roof over my head.  Was on my ZX6R - its a bit of a challenge to sit on a sport bike on the kick stand without putting feet on the ground.  Kept my feet up to avoid lightning is it struck nearby and ran across the concrete.  Nice area down there but a bit like the Dakotas - all roads are straight.

• Thumbsup 1