Average Fuel Economy Thread

My 1500 mile average is 44.2 and around half of that with a Akropvic Carbon exhaust.  I only drive like a maniac a triple digits around 1/4 of the time;)  Curious what others are getting...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
After about 1200 miles I can report my bike has used some fuel and cost some money. I don't feel any need to add it all up or do any microanalysis.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Fig jam- my only thought is are you calculating that mileage based on fuel usage from -0- miles? Because those first few tanks when the motor is breaking in go VERY quickly. That increased fuel usage would dragg down your average so I'm not surprised by your numbers.

-s

Fig jam- my only thought is are you calculating that mileage based on fuel usage from -0- miles? Because those first few tanks when the motor is breaking in go VERY quickly. That increased fuel usage would dragg down your average so I'm not surprised by your numbers. 
-s

Nope. That's the stats from the last couple tanks only. I also reset my averages with each fill up. 

Cold weather, I believe, increases fuel consumption. I am no cold weather expert coming from one who lives in a hot and humid tropical climate 365 days. But my business trips to the US in the New England area, I noticed that as the weather warms up, I get significantly better fuel economy on the rented cars.

FigJam is in cold Canada, maybe that is why.

Cold weather, I believe, increases fuel consumption. I am no cold weather expert coming from one who lives in a hot and humid tropical climate 365 days. But my business trips to the US in the New England area, I noticed that as the weather warms up, I get significantly better fuel economy on the rented cars. 
FigJam is in cold Canada, maybe that is why.
FigJam is in warm Canada, Victoria BC on the west coast.

I'm in colder Canada, Ottawa. Definitely gas mileage goes down in winter. Idling truck while cleaning off snow and ice doesn't help.

COLD Canada is Winnipeg, Regina, etc. Go north from there to COLDEST Canada.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• Premium Member
Not that I'm arguing that there's a difference in fuel consumption due to the temperature, because there is, but one thing to be aware of these days is that ethanol fuel is not in use year-round in New England.  So, you may get significantly better fuel mileage in the summer months where it's not in use.  I sure do. 
Too bad they use it in the winter months when the motorcycle is much more likely to be parked, thereby screwing up carbs.  (But I'm not bitter.)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Not that I'm arguing that there's a difference in fuel consumption due to the temperature, because there is, but one thing to be aware of these days is that ethanol fuel is not in use year-round in New England.  So, you may get significantly better fuel mileage in the summer months where it's not in use.  I sure do. 
Too bad they use it in the winter months when the motorcycle is much more likely to be parked, thereby screwing up carbs.  (But I'm not bitter.)

Yes, ethanol fuels break down faster, and DO rob you of fuel mileage (and $ for carb work). The weather does as well.
Lower octane gas does too for cars. Although the FJ doesn't have knock sensors, it might get more miles running the recommended 91 octane vs 87 - although I haven't tested that theory yet.

Another thing I realized when filling up yesterday is unless you fill the tank to the brim - where it just begins to rise OVER the metal guard for the nozzle - you really don't have a good reference point for "full".
I only mention that because there is a bit of room at the top of the tank near the metal guard where a couple tenths of a gallon could make the difference.

...but I'm probably getting pretty "nit picky" at this point. Sorry.

-skip

Figjam - you mentioned Victoria as your base- lots of stop lights up there. If you are commuting in/out of town every day I could see that eating up gas due to the start/stop nature of your commute. I ride 60 miles daily commuting, with about 24 of those miles each direction relatively stop light free and at highway speeds.

-s

Archived