Knocking sound coming from engine area

Hi All,

I've got an issue with my UK 2015 MT-09 Tracer that I was hoping the collective knowledge of these forums might be able to diagnose and give me advice about.

Although the bike is old for a Tracer, it's only done 14,000 miles as I mainly use it for commuting within London. In the last few weeks it has developed a new noise that to my untrained ear sounds a bit like trouble. When starting off moving from either a standstill or slow movement I can hear a dull knocking sound coming from somewhere in the direction of the engine. Typically I hear 2 or 3 knocks about a second or so apart from each other. As I get up to speed I'm not sure if the knocks go away as the engine revs start drowning everything else out.

Like I said, I am no expert in anything mechanical, but I do know that when a vehicle starts making a noise it didn't used to, that generally can't be good. Does anyone here have an idea of what might be causing it?

I'm happy to provide any more information if it will help. Thanks in advance!

Hi people, so this morning before I set off for work I gave my chain a good spraying with chain oil, and sure enough, the sound completely went away. Thank you very much for your diagnosis - it may have seemed simple for you but I can assure you I wouldn't have figured it out.

Panic over, thanks again!

• Thumbsup 3

It will last a little while, but it will keep coming back. It happens when chain links have lost the grease on the rollers inside the o-rings/x-rings. They will become stiff, and not flex like they should when they go around the front sprocket. Change them as soon as you can. Chain failures can cause serious damage (to bike and rider). 

• Thumbsup 1

Well, I'm actually embarrased to admit that owing to my own negligence they've already been completely replaced once already, about 2.5 years ago. I do genuinely try to keep my chain lubed, but occasionally I forget and the result is what has happened recently.

I would say the inner lube is totally gone and the links are kinking making the noise you describe. Its now only surviving and grudgingly at that with any lube you supply. Like has been noted your risking some real damage by continuing to ride with the chain in that condition!

MIKE  

• Thumbsup 1