• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

SS brake hoses

Hi,

I want to replace the brake hoses with SS braided lines.

I have a 2018 R1 Master Cylinder instead of the stock MC.

What brand did you select?

Did you call and request a custom length and angled end for the MC to ABS unit?

Anyone just bypass the ABS totally?

Thanks

bill

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, banderso said:

Hi,

I want to replace the brake hoses with SS braided lines.

I have a 2018 R1 Master Cylinder instead of the stock MC.

What brand did you select?

Did you call and request a custom length and angled end for the MC to ABS unit?

Anyone just bypass the ABS totally?

Thanks

bill

When you buy the braided line 'kit' it is just that- a pre made 'kit' specific for your bike already measured to fit.  I bought Spiegler as the ends of the lines are 'clockable' or able to be adjusted to any orientation that you need.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hi Betoney,

Just to be clear.....

You have a r1 MC and purchased a Spiegler kit for a FJ09?

And rotated the MC connection a bit to fit?

On my bike I was able to attach the FJ09 stock hose end to the R1 MC, but had to unfasten the clip holding the hose. Still a tight fit..... but works...

Thanks

bill

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, banderso said:

Hi Betoney,

Just to be clear.....

You have a r1 MC and purchased a Spiegler kit for a FJ09?

And rotated the MC connection a bit to fit?

On my bike I was able to attach the FJ09 stock hose end to the R1 MC, but had to unfasten the clip holding the hose. Still a tight fit..... but works...

Thanks

bill

Yes, R1 MC, - with the Spieglers adjustable banjo bolts everything fit perfectly.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

B, Don't you have an earlier R1 Brembo MC, 2009~2014 like me?  Later years they went from Nissin (which were more expensive?) but maybe the approximate hose connection port didn't change much.  With my taller and more swept back Renthal Street Naked handlebars*, I did have to slightly relieve the KTM handguards for Speigler front brake hose clearance.

*Verus OEM, also with the Outlaw Racing TH-08, which are lower & more swept back than the OEM bars.

20200428_164234.jpg

20200428_164619.jpg

20200111_200628.jpg

20200111_200649.jpg

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

B, Don't you have an earlier R1 Brembo MC, 2009~2014 like me?

Mine is from a 2006 R1.  I'm really not sure what, if any differences there are between years?

I have to ask why the change to the R1 MC? That is, besides, "it works better"! Does it give better pressure? I find the brakes on my new 900 Ok, but not great. Takes a bit more finger pressure to stop than I am used to on past bikes. Not a crisis, but I'm interested. I haven't changed anything yet, pads or lines or anything. 

Hi Salish,

The radial design and larger piston of the R1 MC  provides better feeling and power.

There are a few threads on the site where braking improvements are chronicled, very good reading.

Variations on rotor size, MC, SS lines, and pad composition.

see ya 

bill

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The 09~14 R1 Brembo MC port it on the bottom, not the side/front like the later Mission MC, which also have a different bore, stroke and leverage ratio due to caliper changes.  When I bought mine, the bare MC was about $93 new at Partshark.com.  I bought the OEM hose and clamp, and later the lever after I discovered my aftermarket length/reach/folding adjustable lever (see photo which was taken before I replaced it) was screwing up the leverage ratio; though I don't like the funky OEM lever's reach adjuster at ALL!

I bought a bar clamp for a clutch/brake with the mirror boss, made my own reservoir bracket that goes under the mirror stem, and the reservoir on eBay (it's a decent unit too).

Now both Betoney, me and many others also installed 320 mm rotors. I bought new R1 discs (some bought used), others EBC, etc but caliper spacers are then needed, and they are now hard to find.  Mine were made by Forks by Matt, who also made me custom fork cartridges with rebound AND adjustable compression in EACH leg, and provided my K-Tech Razor R shock with a custom spacer and Torrington bearing under the spring (very sweet!).

• Thumbsup 1

Hi,

I got the Spiegler kit from Sportbiketrackgear for the FJ09. They included Dot 4 fluid and brake cleaner, and free shipping.

Fit fine. Being able to adjust the fittings was very helpful.

Quite the ordeal to change though. Patience is required..... 😁 

Going to bleed shortly.

Pray it goes well...

See ya 

bill

• Thumbsup 1