stock windshield experiment

Many riders have noted that thr lowest position yields the cleanest airflow around the helmet area. I have put spacers under the two lower screen mounts ( between the screen and rubber isolators) to lower the screen angle slightly. I used some plastic coated aluminum washers I had around the shop. The washers are 2mm or so in total. I am riding Sunday with DeersSlayer and will report if it makes any significant difference.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Many riders have noted that thr lowest position yields the cleanest airflow around the helmet area. I have put spacers under the two lower screen mounts ( between the screen and rubber isolators) to lower the screen angle slightly. I used some plastic coated aluminum washers I had around the shop. The washers are 2mm or so in total. I am riding Sunday with DeersSlayer and will report if it makes any significant difference.
I have the CalSci shorty. You're welcome to try that Sunday... 
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 4 weeks later...
I've just finished cutting 3in off the top of the stock screen. Will get a chance to try it tomorrow.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

20150503_095124_zpsmps8b598.jpg
Makes a noticeable difference, a step in the right direction. I have a little different approach planned when I get some time.
2015 Matte Grey

20150506_205530_zpsgfunqozx.jpg

A little odd looking, but I think I like it. Will post pic of it installed on the bike as well as review. Now 1 1/2in shorter again in the middle section for a total of roughly 4 1/2in less than stock.
2015 Matte Grey

I notice when I stand up on my bike it is like all noise goes away. Maybe I should remove screen all together ? I'm 6-4. So I thought the screen would be fine. But in the lowest position it hits my shoulders and chin. And in the upper it hits my forehead.

Way back in '02, I bought a first year VStrom 1k, and turbulence off the screen was a big issue. The FJ9 is worlds better out of the box, but still suffers from a lack of clean air at the helmet. Here's what I did with the VStrom screen, and it worked great, giving clean air at the helmet, while still providing some coverage to the rider's shoulders:

Cherohala1.jpg

Something similar might work well for the FJ9, as I have noticed it's much smoother and quieter if I stand on the pegs, and get my head into clean air.

20150507_135407_zps3skt9yvg.jpg

On the bike after a couple of coats of VHT Nightshades spray tint on the back side
2015 Matte Grey

20150507_180952_zpsjtbcxnsn.jpg

Using shims under the mount plate and the screen, it lays back on a lower angle now.
2015 Matte Grey

Archived