Feather River Canyon

maximo

On Sunday I took a little ride down the Feather River Canyon. There was construction at one end of the canyon, so traffic was held up for 15-20 minutes. I happened to hit it at the right time – I scootched to the front of the line as it reopened, and from that point on I had the road all to myself the entire length. I set the cruise at 60, kicked back, and enjoyed the pleasant scenery and the open, winding road. A lovely spring day.

On the return trip I stopped for a few pictures to share.

PXL_20210313_212328651.jpg

PXL_20210313_212304585.jpg

PXL_20210313_211140287.jpg

PXL_20210313_194140677.jpg

PXL_20210313_194016283.MP.jpg

PXL_20210313_191117607.MP.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 6

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Cool bridge - is that old bridge material at the bottom?  Almost looks like remnants of an old bridge or something.

Great shots, looks scenic and twisty...canyon carving :)

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

3 minutes ago, knyte said:

Cool bridge - is that old bridge material at the bottom?  Almost looks like remnants of an old bridge or something.

It's actually a second bridge that criss crosses it. The top one's for cars, the bottom one's for trains. 

If I were a better photographer I'd taken this one, which I just pilfered from the web. 

pulga.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member

Ahhh I see it now.  Man that's some cherry lanscape.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, maximo said:

On Sunday I took a little ride down the Feather River Canyon. There was construction at one end of the canyon, so traffic was held up for 15-20 minutes. I happened to hit it at the right time – I scootched to the front of the line as it reopened, and from that point on I had the road all to myself the entire length. I set the cruise at 60, kicked back, and enjoyed the pleasant scenery and the open, winding road. A lovely spring day.

Lovely!! 

We are going to be riding through there at the end of June.  The prior day we will be riding Monitor, Ebbetts and Carson Passes and the following day we will take your advice and ride Lake Berryessa/ Hopland/ Boonville area!

Day 4 of our route

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, i_ride45 said:

I've been wanting to check out this area. How far up did you make it before turning around?

I just went up to the Greenville Wye (where 89 and 70 meet )and back, maybe an hour each direction. It's a nice afternoon jaunt. 

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, betoney said:

Lovely!! 

We are going to be riding through there at the end of June.  The prior day we will be riding Monitor, Ebbetts and Carson Passes and the following day we will take your advice and ride Lake Berryessa/ Hopland/ Boonville area!

Day 4 of our route

Your ride is epic!! 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
12 minutes ago, maximo said:

Your ride is epic!! 

I just hope I can afford it now...  I was looking online and several places in California are already reporting over $5 a gallon for regular.  So happy that this bike requires $$premium$$  😪  I can't imagine how much it will be in the summer right before the holiday. 😲

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

Awesome ride! I live in southern OR and work for the railroad and operate those trains to Keddie where we swap with Stockton crews (and layover in Quincy, CA) who take it on down. In fact that orange train very well could have been mine the other day. Lol. I've only been from there down to Oroville in a car but would love to take my bike down there and plan to this summer.

• Thumbsup 4

28 minutes ago, betoney said:

I just hope I can afford it now...  I was looking online and several places in California are already reporting over $5 a gallon for regular.  So happy that this bike requires $$premium$$  😪  I can't imagine how much it will be in the summer right before the holiday. 😲

Currently just under $4/gal in this area of NorCal and southern OR. I filled my diesel pickup up today and it punched through the $100 mark for the first time in a long time. Hoping the warmer temps come sooner (although could use moisture) so I can ride in to work. Low 20's with some snow this morning... I'm thinking we'll need a fourth stimulus just for a road trip... 🤪

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, JeffersonRider said:

I'm thinking we'll need a fourth stimulus just for a road trip... 🤪

No kidding.  I was riding through Redding 2 years ago and took this photo, I thought the prices were insane then, those prices are now considered a bargain.

image.thumb.png.27f181732cfea2da4993218903f81a6f.png

4 hours ago, betoney said:

Lovely!! 

Day 4 of our route

Sounds like a great ride. If you haven't done Sonora Pass, I highly recommend it.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, i_ride45 said:

Sounds like a great ride. If you haven't done Sonora Pass, I highly recommend it.

We rode Sonora and Monitor Passes 2 years ago, I agree, AWESOME ride, that is why we wanted to explore Ebbetts and Carson Passes this time.  We will also ride up Donner pass as well.  👍

1 minute ago, betoney said:

We rode Sonora and Monitor Passes 2 years ago, I agree, AWESOME ride, that is why we wanted to explore Ebbetts and Carson Passes this time.  We will also ride up Donner pass as well.  👍

Good call. If you want a scenic route through Donner Pass, take Donner Pass Rd from Truckee to Soda Springs on the south side of I-80. It has incredible views of Donner Lake.

• Like 1