Feather River Canyon

maximo

• Supporting Member
31 minutes ago, Waldo Jeffers said:

Agreed, that is a fantastic stretch of road, twisty, scenic and very light traffic.  We have included CA96 as part of the route back North from the Redwoods on our June road trip. 

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

4 hours ago, betoney said:

We rode Sonora and Monitor Passes 2 years ago, I agree, AWESOME ride, that is why we wanted to explore Ebbetts and Carson Passes this time.  We will also ride up Donner pass as well.  👍

Ebbets may be my favorite of all the passes. To me, it's the most complete.  But then again, talking about your favorite Sierra Pass is like taking about your favorite Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. 

• Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, maximo said:

Ebbets may be my favorite of all the passes. To me, it's the most complete.  But then again, talking about your favorite Sierra Pass is like taking about your favorite Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader. 

Our plan is to ride them in a clock-wise loop, starting and ending in Carson City.  Is there a preference in riding them in a specific direction? or is one approach steeper than the other?

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Our plan is to ride them in a clock-wise loop, starting and ending in Carson City.  Is there a preference in riding them in a specific direction? or is one approach steeper than the other?

Carson Pass is very similar in either direction. Ebbets has distinct flavors tho. Each way is great for its own reasons. I love westbound for the rip roaring fun you can have on climb. You have dramatic scenery as you go on perfectly cambered roads, with gravity providing just enough tug so that you never have to touch your brakes.  Then again, the eastbound section is spectacular in the single lane sector. I dunno, you can't go wrong.

Also, this is how much I love Ebbetts: it's the only decoration in room. 

PXL_20210320_021802654.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

6 hours ago, JeffersonRider said:

Awesome ride! I live in southern OR and work for the railroad and operate those trains to Keddie where we swap with Stockton crews (and layover in Quincy, CA) who take it on down. In fact that orange train very well could have been mine the other day. Lol. I've only been from there down to Oroville in a car but would love to take my bike down there and plan to this summer.

That's super cool! The Keddie Wye is one of the most fascinating sights to me. I know nothing of trains, but that looks to be unique. 

If you're going to ride the area let me know. I can help draw up some routes to catch the good roads. And I might try to tag along...

• Supporting Member
18 minutes ago, maximo said:

I love westbound for the rip roaring fun you can have on climb. You have dramatic scenery as you go on perfectly cambered roads, with gravity providing just enough tug so that you never have to touch your brakes.

Sounds amazing, thanks for all of your input and suggestions.  Between these 2 passes and the Hopland/ Boonville area, this is all new territory that no one in our group have ever ridden before, we are all very excited to discover these for the first time. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 1:24 PM, i_ride45 said:

Good call. If you want a scenic route through Donner Pass, take Donner Pass Rd from Truckee to Soda Springs on the south side of I-80. It has incredible views of Donner Lake.

FYI - The Donner Pass Rd.(the old Hwy 40) from Donner Lake up to the top of the hill by the Donner Ski Ranch has been closed.  Not sure what they're doing up there.  Was up there again on the bike 3 weeks ago during the week.  It might be open on the weekends.  Maybe check with Caltrans or call a business up at Donner Lake and ask them.  I don't know if there is any signage on the Soda Springs end of the road(coming off I-80) indicating any closure.  Might save one some time not having to backtrack.

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, nvzman said:

FYI - The Donner Pass Rd.(the old Hwy 40) from Donner Lake up to the top of the hill by the Donner Ski Ranch has been closed.  Not sure what they're doing up there.  Was up there again on the bike 3 weeks ago during the week.  It might be open on the weekends.  Maybe check with Caltrans or call a business up at Donner Lake and ask them.  I don't know if there is any signage on the Soda Springs end of the road(coming off I-80) indicating any closure.  Might save one some time not having to backtrack.

Thanks for the heads-up on the road closure.  We are going to be down there in a week on a road-trip and had planned on riding up the pass from Donner lake. - Bummer. ☹️

7 hours ago, betoney said:

Thanks for the heads-up on the road closure.  We are going to be down there in a week on a road-trip and had planned on riding up the pass from Donner lake. - Bummer. ☹️

Found this info on the DP Rd.

1. www.mynevadacounty.com › 230

Apr 20, 2021 · September 10,2020 - The Donner Pass road closure will be extended from Rainbow Bridge to the summit on weekdays from 7 AM Sept 21 to 5 PM Oct 2. This is in addition to the existing closure from Rainbow Bridge east to the Town of Truckee limits which is anticipated to be in effect through October. The road will be open on the weekends as usual. After Oct 2, the road between the summit and rainbow bridge will be reopened.

• Thanks 1