Brake Question - CBS/LBS

Sligo

Does the Tracer have a linked brake system (aka combined brake system)?

I've owned a number of Honda's that have had it and really liked this safety feature.

Have owned Honda, Suzuki, & Kawasaki bike but never a Yamaha so I'm unfamiliar with the mechanical aspects of their bikes.

15 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Don't want linked brakes, so thrilled the Tracer doesn't have it.

I've yet to find a linked brake system that's actually a safety feature.

There's a lot of times where I do not want to use my front brake as hard while braking.  Where using it substantially endangers me.  

And if the linked brake system is just applying a little rear brake it's not really doing anything useful anyways. 

I mean, if there's gravel or dirt on the road, snow, ice or oil, anything significantly impacting traction you need to be REAL careful about front brake usage.  

Now, I feel they're really useful particularly if you're disabled, and this is absolutely not a silly "Durr, I'm better than ABS" thing; just that unless the bike *also* has extremely advanced traction control systems, there's simply no way to make linked braking a good idea for anyone riding outside of very limited circumstances.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Nope, no LBS or CBS. I also came from Hondas, last 2 were LBS.

I like ABS way better though. I'm still playing in the anti-skid that's all over yet, hammering both brakes into ABS.

My last several Hondas were both ABS & LBS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Never owned a honda or a bike with linked brakes, do both the foot brake and the hand brake control both brakes?  So you can't isolate one or the other?  Or is it just the hand lever that is linked?  

25 minutes ago, Jfundo said:

do both the foot brake and the hand brake control both brakes?

My last bike was a Honda CBF 1000 linked brake system only with the front brake lever. rear worked independent of front. In 5 years of ownership I never had an issue with operation in use. Only minor complaint was with bleeding the system it was a  proper nuisance the first time I had to do that, took me two days.

2 hours ago, Jfundo said:

Never owned a honda or a bike with linked brakes, do both the foot brake and the hand brake control both brakes?  So you can't isolate one or the other?  Or is it just the hand lever that is linked?  

On my old "07 FJR (with ABS), the rear brake pedal activated one of the 2 sets of pistons in one of the front brake calipers. The other 3 sets up front operated normally with the front brake lever. It was okay, I guess, for a big heavy bike like the feejer. Not sure how well LBS would work on our lighter Tracer/FJs, though. Glad it's not there.

15 hours ago, Kevin R said:

On my old "07 FJR (with ABS), the rear brake pedal activated one of the 2 sets of pistons in one of the front brake calipers. The other 3 sets up front operated normally with the front brake lever. It was okay, I guess, for a big heavy bike like the feejer. Not sure how well LBS would work on our lighter Tracer/FJs, though. Glad it's not there.

Most of the Honda systems work the same way, with the exception of the linked ABS system on newer CBR1000RR (which has an ABS ECM controlling 2 separate ABS pumps!)

Meaning foot brake application also applies a selected piston(s) in the front caliper(s). So to answer your question @Jfundo usually the design is the foot applies some portion of the front, but the front application DOES NOT apply anything to the rear. So the front system remains “independent” so to speak, but does have fluid supply running from the rear which makes them more time consuming to bleed correctly.

Honda has used it on various models over the years. (Goldwings are a “case study” by themselves!) Yamaha has really only used it on the FJR13. I don’t know if the newer Venture cruisers use it...

-Skip

Edited by skipperT