Passenger Grab Rails Removal

OSG55

I have a seat/tail bag that carries all of my daily ride stuff.  It is transferred between multiple bikes so I don't have to repack everything each time I ride a different bike.  My 2015 FJ-09 required removal of the passenger grab rails to allow the bag to be mounted securely.  Only issue is that 2 large holes are left on top of the tail section where the rear of the grab rails are attached.  Unsightly and not exactly weather resistant. 

Solution:  1-1/2" diameter steel washer (painted matte black) installed over 1-1/2" x 1/8" thick soft rubber washer, secured with the stock grab rail bolt.  See attached photos.  (NOTE: The aluminum mounting boss for the grab rail sits a little proud of the plastic tail section cover surface, requiring a soft rubber washer at least 1/8" thick to conform to the boss and seal to the tail section cover. A hard plastic washer will not effectively seal the opening. Soft rubber washer with a 3/8" center hole effectively seals the bolt shaft.)  

While it may not be the most visually pleasing solution (more "industrial design/steam punk" than sleek...) it seals the openings, is fairly unobtrusive, rattle-free, and allows for quick re-installation of the grab rails.

FJ-09 GRAB BAR MOUNT COVER 1.jpg

FJ-09 GRAB BAR MOUNT COVER 2.jpg

FJ-09 GRAB BAR MOUNT COVER 3.jpg

FJ-09 GRAB BAR MOUNT COVER 4.jpg

That’s a good solution. I’d be tempted to fit cargo tie downs on that bolt, to help lash anything onto the back seat as you’ve lost the rails. It could be a simple loop or something like this (but the right size of course).

A9181135-487F-4999-B757-F71659877094.jpeg

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Or something like this perhaps?

image.png.fe30b92b5e17b107b13725f898a7f810.png

I use something very similar for my cargo net.  I use them on the side case attachment bolts as well.

s-l400.jpg

Item do not fit your motorcycle perfect. We have professional team to care...

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***