Burning smell??

Im really enjoying my new ride -  '19 Tracer 900.  After a nice run when I park the bike in my garage Im noticing a fairly strong smell although no leaks, or anything visible.  Bike runs great.  Anyone chime in?

1 hour ago, Garz747 said:

Im really enjoying my new ride -  '19 Tracer 900.  After a nice run when I park the bike in my garage Im noticing a fairly strong smell although no leaks, or anything visible.  Bike runs great.  Anyone chime in?

If you are using gear oil on your chain you can expect a very strong smell. As has been discussed before, the chain on our bikes runs right alongside the muffler down below, and so gets extra heat. I stopped using gear oil because I found it smoked off too quickly on my 900, leaving the chain bare of oil after only a couple short rides. If not that, then it could be a new bike smell? How many miles on your beast? 

Doubt it if it’s chain oil. Mine also has an odour when first parked which I assumed was more to do with the exhaust then anything else. The emission controls they put in these exhausts today probably get pretty hot and emit the smell even after parked. At least that’s what I believe....

I seem to remember my bike having a similar smell when new, I put it down to residue left in exhaust during manufacture and possibly oil/wax left on the engine burning off. in any case it went away after a few rides/washes. 

I occasionally smell some burning still, usually at the beginning of a ride and when stopped at a red light, that's when some chain lube has made its way onto the exhaust. Smell goes away after a few miles. 

Edited by Dave76

Exhaust is directly below the chain, take a look at it and see the fling off from lube. ;) Also bugs and any road debris hits the front headers, that is also going to burn off.......you're good, keep on riding and smiling. 

• 7 months later...

I have the same issue , I just bought 2019 model, which I am very pleased with, but when I park up it smells of oil or burnt oil. I have noticed some flecks of oil around the exhaust opening and it's beginning to look a little black. I don't use gear oil on the chain, the bike is fitted with a scot oiler but there are no signs of oil on the chain side of the cat box. Did you resolve your problem?

The bike has done 11k miles. I am concerned it's an engine problem pushing oil through the exhaust (rings or valve guide oils seals).

ps I don't reckon the clutch is slipping.