Oil light

skipperT

Had an interesting thing happen on the way home tonight.

Oil light came on. I was traveling under somewhat unique circumstances: it was VERY windy, blowing constantly from the N-NW at 20-30 mph with gusts to 50. I was traveling west and fighting the crosswinds so much that I was leaned over to the right pretty good. Highway speed of 70-75 and ambient temp around 40 before windchill.

Just changed oil and filter 600 miles ago so I was fairly confident that there was oil in the engine. I pulled in the clutch to bring the RPMs down and pulled over to the side, let it idle and the light went off within 30 seconds. Due to the weather I headed off again as nothing was leaking. Light stayed off. Got home, parked the bike and checked the oil level after letting it sit for 5 minutes. Perfect, 2/3 of the way up the glass when bike was level.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I suspect the lean angle I had maintained for 6-7 miles at high speed combined with cold temps probably caused the majority of the oil to be pulled away from the sensor and trigger the light.

But wondered if anyone else has experienced the light coming on while riding, and under what circumstances.

-skip

• Premium Member
I think you are correct with your hypothesis, without any actual evidence to back this up, except the bike only holds 2.9 litres so it doesn't need much oil to be retained in the top of the engine due to the lean angle to get a drop in pressure. The same thing will happen on most bikes if you do a lengthy wheelie, so I'm told, as I'm no monowheel expert.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I had this happen yesterday under similar circumstances. Very windy. Checked the oil window with it on the center stand and it was fine. Turned the bike off and back on again on the center stand, started it for a few seconds and the light went away. I've been riding all week in similar or worse wind and have not had the light go on though. I did not make the connection to the wind until I read your post skipperT.

Coincidentally, at the start of the same ride, I had problems with the bike running rough. It was cutting out power and wouldn't rev normally when in neutral. I went ahead and took off to see if it would smooth out and it did after about 1/2 mile. My theory on this was I was standing around talking to a friend for quite some time and like an idiot I left the key in the on position while the bike was not running. I think the battery was just starting to run low and was having trouble keeping up with the spark plugs until it regained some charge. At least I hope this was the reason and that it wasn't in some way related to the oil light. The oil light didn't come on until near the end of the ride though and engine power was fine then. I know on my CB450, it is possible to have enough charge in the battery to start the bike but not enough to keep it running. That bike is 45 years old though, I'm a little surprised that a modern alternator doesn't produce enough to power to operate the bike normally without assistance from the battery. To those that are a little more mechanically savvy, does this battery theory seem plausible on the FJ?

root I doubt it was the battery... more than likely the engine was running rich at start-up and once warm it cleaned up.

I believe the oil light is based on oil level in the sump not system pressure. When cold my Tenere would show the oil light if I made any tight 90 degree turns right after start-up. I'm betting that with the bike leaned into a cross wind at highway speeds it fools the sensor due to the oil laying to one side of the sump for extended periods
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Thanks for the words, guys. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Root- to answer your question: most modern Fi bikes, atvs, etc - require a minimum of 12.2-12.5 volts depending on which manufacturer we are talking about. ECU's are also usually programmed to shorten the fuel injector duration while cranking in the case of less available voltage being "seen" by the ECU when the battery is discharged/weak. Because the spark won't be as strong and the engine speed is slower.

But is that what happened? Hard to say.

Troll- interesting, I didn't know the S10 would do that. Makes sense though. I know the post 2005 Gen R6 will do it also at higher RPMs if the oil level is just a tad low (1/3-1/2) up the stick when cold. Have been over filling that one a bit for years to prevent that from happening.

Remember the Viragos?

Wessie- wish I could wheelie. Can't even hold one for long on a pedal bike!

-S

• Premium Member
No need for concern. The FJ-09 is equipped with an Oil Level Warning Light that illuminates. If the oil is low around 1/2 - 3/4 quart and you're running higher RPMs, you might see it come on. Reducing your RPMs will turn it off as more oil becomes available in the sump. Simply top it off when you get a chance. This is not a catastrophic condition.

OilLevel.jpg

Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Manual also mentions that the oil light may come on under certain conditions as the oil slush about inside the engine.  In fact, happened to me at mile 100.  I just ignored it and light went off in few seconds. 

• 2 months later...
No need for concern. The FJ-09 is equipped with an Oil Level Warning Light that illuminates. If the oil is low around 1/2 - 3/4 quart and you're running higher RPMs, you might see it come on. Reducing your RPMs will turn it off as more oil becomes available in the sump. Simply top it off when you get a chance. This is not a catastrophic condition. 
OilLevel.jpg

Had the same problem right after the first 1000km oil change. The moment you get to highway speed oil warning light comes on for few seconds and then just disappear. Does not happen all the time. Dealership does not seem to know how to fix the problem!!! Any ideas. That makes me nervous.....

Had the same problem right after the first 1000km oil change. The moment you get to highway speed oil warning light comes on for few seconds and then just disappear. Does not happen all the time. Dealership does not seem to know how to fix the problem!!! Any ideas. That makes me nervous.....
If it comes on and stays on, then I might be worried. But if it only pops on momentarily and goes away, then I'd pay no mind to it. 

Archived