Start in A mode

The possibility to start the bike in A mode is on many lists as a good reason to get an ECU flash.

My 2019 GT always starts up in A if that is where I left it. 

Is this where I find out that this ECU might have been messed with by a previous owner?

Or is it just the newer models that can do this?

Edited by petshark

Mine starts in standard mode regardless of where I left it. The ECU is also flashed. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

My 2020 starts in A mode or whatever mode I left it in and its a stock ECU.....They must have had a programming change somewhere along the way.

Edited by CRFan250
  • Thumbsup 2

35 minutes ago, CRFan250 said:

My 2020 starts in A mode or whatever mode I left it in and its a stock ECU.....They must have had a programming change somewhere along the way.

That’s what I figured. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@petshark - The early FJ definitely defaulted to STD mode every time you started the bike, regardless of the previous selection.   That changed at some point (I want to say with the 2019 Tracers?) to be a ‘sticky’ setting that retains your prior selection, regardless of mode selected.   

So, if your early bike (like my 2015 FJ) starts in A mode, it has definitely been flashed.   On the later bikes, it doesn’t guarantee anything one way or the other.   

Additional caveat:   This is accurate for US spec bikes, but I can’t guarantee it’s globally correct.   

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
38 minutes ago, lolocastsb said:

2015 that I just bought used, starts in A mode. Can't definitely say but I'm 99% sure it's flashed.

Yep!   That’s a telltale sign of an aftermarket flash on a 2015 model.   Nice to have, as it noticeably improves the ridability (especially smoothing out the throttle response in A Mode) 

3 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Yep!   That’s a telltale sign of an aftermarket flash on a 2015 model.   Nice to have, as it noticeably improves the ridability (especially smoothing out the throttle response in A Mode) 

yeah my old FJ09 had a vcyclenut flash during my ownership, so I know the difference between stock fueling and flashed fueling. Went to test ride my current FJ09 and the old owner insisted there was no ECU flash (he was the second owner, so it must have been the first one who did it) despite starting in A mode and being VERY responsive. needless to say I'm happy!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I didn't even know this was a thing. I've used standard mode almost exclusively on my 2017 (bought new in 2019) since I don't like the abrupt throttle when going from closed to open in A mode. I have used B mode maybe twice in bad weather. I always thought that it just stayed in the mode it was in last. I guess I'll confirm for my own info in the morning. 

On 6/19/2021 at 9:50 PM, Rick123 said:

My 2017 starts with whatever mode I left it in. A in my case.

Same here!  I was out riding with a friend who has a '16 this weekend and I noticed my '17 stayed in A-mode.  He was full of envy.

• Haha 1