Vacation time is here.....and so are tar snakes

duckie

Just a FYI......did my sierra loop ride yesterday, another easy 400+ miles.

Its is for sure vacation time. More cars up there, Travel trailers being towed, class a&c rvs.

And in the undivided part of four at the top......tar snakes are out. Thought I had a problem with the bike until I realized it was tar snakes being somewhat slippery.

Love my chair......

E8D374C7-F3CB-4B23-AF3D-13B6449CD4B5.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Tar snakes are a great reminder to stay loose on the bars, weight the outside peg and let the bike do its shimmy under you without consequence.  Obviously keep an eye out for puddles of tar snake and larger groups that could turn an extended shimmy into a full on slide.

Edited by tedski

Not mentioned is that there are tar snakes, and then in heat we are having out West, there are tar RIVERS! That stuff liquifies at asphalt temperatures of over 100. It was just normal tar snakes that prompted to swap out the OEM front tire so soon. That thing was just like riding a glass wheel on an olive oil fry pan. 

• Thumbsup 1

5 minutes ago, Salish900 said:

Not mentioned is that there are tar snakes, and then in heat we are having out West, there are tar RIVERS! That stuff liquifies at asphalt temperatures of over 100. It was just normal tar snakes that prompted to swap out the OEM front tire so soon. That thing was just like riding a glass wheel on an olive oil fry pan. 

So true!  We have one goat trail here in the SF Bay Area where they laid down 2' wide puddles of tar snake stuff.  The road gets full sun during the day and turns into puddles.  You need to change your shorts after riding that section.

This is one reason every street rider should have a dual-sport bike in the stable. You get used to sliding around a little.

But those damn tar ponds will still bunch up your shorts...

I've been on some roads in certain states where I honestly think they snake it up deliberately to keep the bikes away or at least slow us down.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bwringer said:

This is one reason every street rider should have a dual-sport bike in the stable. You get used to sliding around a little.

Could not agree more!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, duckie said:

Its is for sure vacation time. More cars up there, Travel trailers being towed, class a&c rvs.

That’s what I am worried about, we are leaving on Thursday and will be riding the passes on Saturday and fear that every moron with an RV or travel trailer will be out there driving 15mph over the passes. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

20 hours ago, tedski said:

Tar snakes are a great reminder to stay loose on the bars, weight the outside peg and let the bike do its shimmy under you without consequence.  Obviously keep an eye out for puddles of tar snake and larger groups that could turn an extended shimmy into a full on slide.

Well, I actually weight the inside peg. I kinda get my butt over to the side of the turn and weighting the inside peg helps hold my body weight in that place. 

It still lets me be light on the bars. 

17 hours ago, betoney said:
22 hours ago, duckie said:

That’s what I am worried about, we are leaving on Thursday and will be riding the passes on Saturday and fear that every moron with an RV or travel trailer will be out there driving 15mph over the passes. 

Well, even my non flashed 2019 Tracer GT had no issues when motorcycle passing zones presented themselves in making passes. 

Just gotta be patient. I came up on a pickup towing a boat on the undivided part of 4. Just waited a bit and a motorcycle passing zone appeared, and I was gone......using A mode of my non flashed 2019 Tracer GT. 

Oh and wind......watch for windy conditions.....I had a my line in a few corner change because of gusts of wind. 

Makes for exciting times.....

Edited by duckie