MRA X-Creen Tour Installed w/ Stock Screen

Today, I installed my trusty MRA X-Creen Tour on my stock 900 GT screen.  This will be the third bike that this screen has been installed on (previous bikes were a Honda CTX 1300 and a BMW F800 GT). 

Installation is pretty straightforward.  This screen can be installed with extension arms that give you height adjustment in addition to angle or with just angle adjustment (which is what used for the 900 GT).  I chose this method since there is already height adjustment available with the stock screen.

I'm 5'-7" and while I didn't experience the more extreme buffeting/turbulence that others have with the stock screen I wanted to see if this would clean up what little issues I felt.  So did it?  It sure did.  While I was pretty comfortable before, I am now very comfortable.  I have it angled forward and it's effect is really felt in the higher position as the dead air around my helmet allows me to easily ride with my visor up.  In the lowest position it still provides a decent dead air pocket, but more air flows over the top of my helmet.  So, I'm pretty happy with the results and will leave on.  In the pics below you will see the position I settled on.  the minimum recommended installation location is 25mm below the top of the screen.  I have it almost double that.

213819737_371451711071211_1791947434433630654_n.thumb.jpg.86826e48abc62a2ca7914c157d46c6a2.jpg215165464_429958278044254_4329357434984503443_n.thumb.jpg.79dc2e6258339be511787ff7918b321f.jpg212442942_859089168361990_776936176857170859_n.thumb.jpg.762aab17d4f29e3fc7696fbe7eb206d4.jpg

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

I have it angled forward and it's effect is really felt in the higher position as the dead air around my helmet allows me to easily ride with my visor up.  In the lowest position it still provides a decent dead air pocket, but more air flows over the top of my helmet.

I'm glad that the screen and visor combination works for you but 'dead air' wouldn't work for me, I need a flow of air.  I always have my helmet vents open and except for interstate riding, always have my helmet visor cracked open to its first detent and always without exception flip my visor fully open anytime I come to a stop.

The bike looks great, enjoy.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I just removed my x-creen for the summer. Interesting that you tilt it away from you. I’ve never tried that, parallel is the furthest I’ve gone. I will try it when it gets cold again. I’m 6’ but my puig touring is also taller and yet I’ve never had dead air, just no turbulence and less noise. Also interesting that you used the single hinge instead of double. Should give that a try as well. It’s probably close to the screen that way. Can you switch between the two using the same drilled holes?

6 hours ago, petshark said:

I just removed my x-creen for the summer. Interesting that you tilt it away from you. I’ve never tried that, parallel is the furthest I’ve gone. I will try it when it gets cold again. I’m 6’ but my puig touring is also taller and yet I’ve never had dead air, just no turbulence and less noise. Also interesting that you used the single hinge instead of double. Should give that a try as well. It’s probably close to the screen that way. Can you switch between the two using the same drilled holes?

I used the "hinge arms" on my BMW, but switched to the angle only setup for my CTX 1300.  Since my experience with the stock CTX shield was similar to that of the Tracer (I like a quiet pocket of dead air) I left it in that configuration.

The hole template is the same no matter which version you install.

Edited by Butrzrulz
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  I bought a cheap deflector off Amazon and mounted it on my stock screen, and it has definitely made an improvement.  Took the bike out for a 90 minute highway ride, stopping a number of times to fool around with the position of the unit until I had what seemed like the best solution. Just for kicks put it right down low and almost flush with the screen for one stretch just to see what "stock" felt like again, and pulled over again pretty fast; it really was making a big difference. I'm 6'3", so obviously we need somewhat different setups, but I may try angling my screen the way you have.  So far I have experimented with different heights for the deflector, but always kept it parallel to the main screen.  Can't hurt to keep trying new positions!

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome from the F800GT world.  I had a Madstad on my F800GT and was contemplating one for the Tracer GT before going with the MRA windscreen.  I have a cheap Amazon X-Screen clone on the MRA and really like it.  Did a 5,000 mile trip around Wyoming in June and it worked really well.  I have it "flat" or parallel to the windscreen which gives a good smooth flow over and around the helmet.  LOL @betoneyI do ride with my visor cracked open some but on the way across Kansas it was 105F, kept the visor firmly shut.  Opened it a couple of times and it was like having a hair dryer on high pointed at my face.

@Butrzrulz my F800GT would put a fair amount of hot air on my thighs when the temperature are over 91F and I was riding at interstate speeds.  The ride across Kansas in 105F temperatures would have been brutal but eh Tracer GT does not put hot air on the rider - well if stopped with the cooling fan on there is some but once up to speed it is nice.

Windscreen did a good job of keeping rain off.  Got caught in a cold steady rain in the Bighorn mountains and had trouble with visor.  Trick is to stop and put rain gear on BEFORE encountering rain!  Once the visor has raindrops on the inside it is tough to get it right.  In Missouri rode thru a couple of storms, one very intense rain, and everything did just fine.  LOL the big rain drops dont get blown up and over my head by the airflow, just come and smack into me.  

• Thumbsup 1