Yamaha Rear Rack and SHAD SH45 top case

I installed the Yamaha FJ-09 Rear rack 2PP-F48D0-V0-00 to mount a SHAD SH45 top case. I used the fasteners and universal mounting plate included with the stock SHAD case. I had to supply 2 M6x40 bolts to get it to mount securely.

Installed the Yamaha rear rack per included instructions. About a 30 minute process if you take your time.

Test fitted the SHAD universal top plate on top of the Yamaha plastic plate on the rear rack. It looked like I could lower the case by 25mm (1 in) as well as move it forward about 12 mm (1/2 in) if I removed the Yamaha plastic plate.

After a few more test fits, I ended up going that route -- exclude the Yamaha rear rack top plate and use the SHAD universal plate.

To get a solid installation  for the front, I had to very slightly modify the SHAD universal plate by removing a small plastic "bar" in the front most mounting slots. With this removed, the front slots aligned perfectly with the front 6mm threaded bosses on the steel Yamaha rack.

To get a solid fit for the rear of the plate, I used two slightly longer M6x40 bolts and the included SHAD spacers to ft the large slots onto the underside of the Yamaha steel rack.

Here is the finished installation

SH45.png

If anyone want more detailed pictures or instructions, let me know.

On to the case...

This case can hold two Shoei RF-1200 full face helmets with communicators.

The key either locks or unlocks the case.

When unlocked, the lid can be opened or closed. The case can be removed on installed on the rack. The cary handle can be folded out or tucked in.

When locked, nothing moves,

The best thing about the case for me is that when I park, I place my helmet, GPS, gloves, sunglasses into the case and lock it.

The case holds 4 six-packs of bottles or a couple 2 liter (1/2 gallon) Growlers of your favorite beverages easily, with room to spare.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

A happy unexpected benefit of the rear rack is that with the tidy tail, in the rain I no longer get as much "road grime" thrown back up onto my back and the top of the bike.

Here is the SHAD universal mounting plate mounted on to the steel of the Yamaha Rack, with the case removed.

IMG_4442.jpg

And here is a view of the rear mount point.

IMG_4443.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
mjsracing, your tracer looks amazing, btw I also have the same color as you have :D , I'm looking a rack but I have two options, the one you installed 2PP-F48D0-V0-00 and this another one 2PP-FRLUG

00000352.png

both are from yamaha genuine but the last one says that max capacity is 10kg, I wonder if you know the max capacity of the rack you have installed since I wasn't able to find such information, can you add images of the instruction manual to see if perhaps there is a notation in which the provider specify the max capacity. thanks.

I no longer have the installation instructions.  (zzz)

The rack you reference has only 2 bolts to the two top fender bolts. The rack I installed has 6 points where it is bolted to the bike, 3 on each side:
Front and rear passenger grab bar bolts and a bolt on the top of the fender.
It is firmly bolted to the subframe.

It feels very secure and solid (no more flex than the passenger grab handles). I would expect that that subframe is the limiting factor, not the rack itself, for weight capacity.

I no longer have the installation instructions.  (zzz) 
The rack you reference has only 2 bolts to the two top fender bolts. The rack I installed has 6 points where it is bolted to the bike, 3 on each side:
Front and rear passenger grab bar bolts and a bolt on the top of the fender.
It is firmly bolted to the subframe.

It feels very secure and solid (no more flex than the passenger grab handles). I would expect that that subframe is the limiting factor, not the rack itself, for weight capacity.

I would guess the capacity is a safety precaution more than the actual structural load limit of the rack or sub-frame.  The sub-frame can hold several hundred lb riders.  With weight mounted so high and completely behind the back wheel, the back wheel becomes the fulcrum of a lever. It doesn't take much to destabilize the bike by tipping the bike back and taking weight off the front wheel, especially under acceleration.  It also significantly raises the center of gravity for the bike. I would guess these issues are even more apparent on a light weight bike that sits high to begin with. Almost all bikes I have seen have incredibly low top box weight limits because of these reasons, not because the weight will bend or break anything on their own.  It's basically a "we told you not to so don't sue us when you crash" type of thing.  My guess is if you ride with an abundance of caution when it is loaded, you will be fine.  You just run the risk of an unstable bike in an emergency situation.  The top box may be convenient to throw stuff in, but it should be the last resort for heavier items.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Mjsracing, the Shad case looks awesome. Thanks for posting and providing instructions. Can you please post a few more photos with the Shad 45 top case on - photos from the side, directly behind etc. I am looking at getting a top case, just don't know what size. Cheers

Hey Mjsracing, the Shad case looks awesome. Thanks for posting and providing instructions. Can you please post a few more photos with the Shad 45 top case on - photos from the side, directly behind etc. I am looking at getting a top case, just don't know what size. Cheers
Yes.  I hope to get to it later this evening.

And here are some more, mounted on the yamaha plastic and with the accessory back rest pad.

And a great example of why a large top case is perhaps the best utility (non performance) upgrade money can buy... hauling the groceries + storing the helmet and GPS while shopping!

• 2 weeks later...
i mounted mine the same way. i did get it on with the hardware that came with it but it was to far back on the rack. they should provide longer bolts but it isnt a big deal. i got tired of waiting for the oem luggage so i ordered the sh42. they were out of them so they offered me an sh45 at no extra charge. im happy with it and very happy with the customer service. good people.

Archived