Yamaha Rear Rack and SHAD SH45 top case

Is it possible to get a close up picture of where the rear carrier mounts to the side of the bike? I have the Shad SH36 side bags and for those to be installed I have to remove the Yamaha side bag hooks. I just want to be sure the rear carrier can still be added after I remove the yamaha side bag hooks.

• 1 month later...
i mounted mine the same way. i did get it on with the hardware that came with it but it was to far back on the rack. they should provide longer bolts but it isnt a big deal. i got tired of waiting for the oem luggage so i ordered the sh42. they were out of them so they offered me an sh45 at no extra charge. im happy with it and very happy with the customer service. good people.
Hi, Could you post or PM a picture on how your install ended up by using the original Shad hardware? Just to get a sense on how far back it is and if it is still usbale with the backrest for a passenger that far back.
Thanks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I installed the Shad SH45 on my Yamaha rack today. As with the OP I did not use the Yamaha plastic top rather mounted the Shad mounting plate directly to the rack frame. I was also able to mount it using the supplied hardware.
The front is secured in the same manner as the OP. I removed the plastic divider from the slotted holes and used the supplied allen bolts in the threaded bosses built into the rack.
With the front secure, I used a small drill bit to come up through the hole in the rear threaded bosses from underneath the rack. I used this to make holes marking the locations in the mounting plate. These holes were then enlarged from the top to allow the supplied bolts to secure in the threaded bosses. I used the supplied spacers between the threaded boss on the rack and the mounting plate. Hope that's clear as mud.
I'm very happy with it. It looks OEM IMHO. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

• Premium Member
Here is how I mounted the Shad baseplate to the Yamaha rack, without the rack cover, using the supplied hardware. 

The front and rear fasteners. 
[attachment id=496" thumbnail="1]
Front: allen bolt from the rack kit (RK ) with bracket from mounting plate  (MP). This screws into the front threaded boss of the rack. 
[attachment id=497" thumbnail="1]
Rear: Philips  head screw from MP with flange bushing from RK going through hole drilled in MP (as  described in last post) then red spacer from MP and screws into rear threaded boss.
[attachment id=498" thumbnail="1]
Mounting plate installed. 

[attachment id=499" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
Top case installed. 

[attachment id=501" thumbnail="1]

[attachment id=502" thumbnail="1]

I weighed the luggage. 
Yamaha side cases - 11.2 lbs ea.
Shad top case - 7.4 lbs

So in less than a minute I can shed 30 lbs.

[attachment id=508" thumbnail="1]
And have a clean FJ again. [attachment id=507" thumbnail="1]

Really looks good! -- I've been beating around with whether to go with the Yamie city side cases or not due to cost but IMOP they look the best and really suit the bike , they are on the smaller size but that helps the look and  as you've taken care of that with Top case and helment storage . Is the Top rack Yamaha or SW-Motech? as I'm looking to go with a similar set-up...

• Premium Member
Really looks good! -- I've been beating around with whether to go with the Yamie city side cases or not due to cost but IMOP they look the best and really suit the bike , they are on the smaller size but that helps the look and  as you've taken care of that with Top case and helment storage . Is the Top rack Yamaha or SW-Motech? as I'm looking to go with a similar set-up...

Thanks.
The rack is OEM Yamaha. Instead of installing the yammie plastic cover I put the Shad mounting plate on the racks metal frame.

Archived