Chicago area 2020 owner

CRFan250- I appreciate the reply and feedback. I'm starting to research a cold weather screen, and since we're both in the midwest, I thought I'd ask. There's certainly lots of plastic to tuck behind in the rain! Surprised it works so well in hot summer conditions. Impossible to tell how well they work just by looking at them- lots of choices available. 

50 minutes ago, sandman900 said:

CRFan250- I appreciate the reply and feedback. I'm starting to research a cold weather screen, and since we're both in the midwest, I thought I'd ask. There's certainly lots of plastic to tuck behind in the rain! Surprised it works so well in hot summer conditions. Impossible to tell how well they work just by looking at them- lots of choices available. 

Sure thing!  Maybe sometime we can meet up and you can ride my bike and see if you like it or not.    The key with the Madstad design is it allows air under the screen to equalize pressure and eliminate turbulence.

• Premium Member

Which can be provided by installing longer spacers and bolts on any screen BTW.

I run 3 different screens depending on the weather and my mood.  I've got swapping screens down to a 15 minute procedure; it'd be less if not for my heads-up GPS/RD display mount system.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Which can be provided by installing longer spacers and bolts on any screen BTW.

I run 3 different screens depending on the weather and my mood.  I've got swapping screens down to a 15 minute procedure; it'd be less if not for my heads-up GPS/RD display mount system.

That is true.....but I am not wanting to change screens all the time.  The Madstad works awesome for me in all conditions. :)

This is David piping in.  I have the 2021 Tracer 9 GT coming off a 2012 FZ-1 with 45,000 miles on it.  So far I have 2,500 miles on it including a trip to the Winona area.  I do live in Chicago along the lakefront.

I really like the GT as it fits nicely with my riding style.  I did spend a week and 1,000 miles on a 2019 Tracer 900 GT in Spain and France and liked it.  The new one is a few ticks nicer in my opinion.  The only add ons I'm looking for is the top case mount, Top case (39L), frame sliders, radiator shield.  I replaced the horn already with a higher pitched one.  The tires, Bridgestone T32, are excellent, the best I ever had as OEM.  I like the stock screen as I am 5'9" and it gives me good wind coverage.  What really sold me on the 2021 is the 6 axis IMU.

Speaking of Highland House, I used to appear there occasionally from 1976 to 1979 when I had my Suzuki GS 750.

Edited by OldBikers
Added a line

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

That is true.....but I am not wanting to change screens all the time.  The Madstad works awesome for me in all conditions. :)

As I said, besides weather, my mood also effects my decision. 

I have an MRW bolt on X-screen tour spoiler on my barn door Givi tour that I only fit in cool / cold weather, as it is so effective in hot weather I get overheated.

My OEM size double bubble with a smaller clip on spoiler I can run cold ~ hot and is thus on 85% of the time.

I have an opaque black bikini screen for really hot weather I run when I'm on day rides with minimal luggage.   It's my only mod that is a concession to form over function...

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

As I said, besides weather, my mood also effects my decision. 

I have an MRW bolt on X-screen tour spoiler on my barn door Givi tour that I only fit in cool / cold weather, as it is so effective in hot weather I get overheated.

My OEM size double bubble with a smaller clip on spoiler I can run cold ~ hot and is thus on 85% of the time.

I have an opaque black bikini screen for really hot weather I run when I'm on day rides with minimal luggage.   It's my only mod that is a concession to form over function...

All good points and I understand completely!  I do have a short puig racing screen but I find the wind noise to be too excessive.  I ran the stock screen with my puig spoiler for a while and it was very smooth but very noisey.  The madstad solves all issues with noise and turbulence so I just can't bring myself to change it, lol.  Cruising along at 65 with no noise, visor up, no bugs on the helmet and being able to hear my music is bliss for me, haha. :)  Ugly as a mofo though, lol

Although I haven't passed 2K miles yet, I know I like this bike enough to get a better seat. I'll be very interested to hear feedback on the Seth Laam seat that CRFan250 has coming- let us know if you add to a thread elsewhere.

14 hours ago, sandman900 said:

Although I haven't passed 2K miles yet, I know I like this bike enough to get a better seat. I'll be very interested to hear feedback on the Seth Laam seat that CRFan250 has coming- let us know if you add to a thread elsewhere.

I will do when I get it...Seth is supposed to be calling this week.  I am taking a 3 day trip on 9/10-9/12 so I will give a good review.  :)

1 hour ago, sandman900 said:

Excellent. Curious- what's his turn around time, and does he use your stock seat pans?

Yep he only uses your stock seat pan and right now he is about 6 weeks out.  He seems like a very nice guy!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago. You can usually find me at Starbucks in Wilmette on Sunday mornings. I find LSD to Sheridan Rd to be the only decent short ride from Old Town. In the last few years I've been out to Galena, down to Starved Rock, up to Milwaukee and even earned my Iron Butt going around Lake Michigan in ~20 hours. Most of this was on my 2003 FZ1 but I've since upgraded to the '15 FJ.

• Thumbsup 2

15 hours ago, TuckJ09 said:

I'm in the Old Town neighborhood of Chicago. You can usually find me at Starbucks in Wilmette on Sunday mornings. I find LSD to Sheridan Rd to be the only decent short ride from Old Town. In the last few years I've been out to Galena, down to Starved Rock, up to Milwaukee and even earned my Iron Butt going around Lake Michigan in ~20 hours. Most of this was on my 2003 FZ1 but I've since upgraded to the '15 FJ.

A few of us meet at the Starbucks during the week, usually Tuesdays or Wednesdays.  We're mostly retired or own businesses that allow time away.

I'm just north of you in Buena Park.  It's no longer LSD but now JBPdS-LSD, I know it's weird but I can remember when it was Outer Drive before becoming LSD.

I have a 2021 Tracer 9 GT

• 2 weeks later...