Parking Lights

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
By parking lights I assume you mean front and tail lights o with everything locked uip, for dark back road parking?

I couldn't find anything like that on my bike, which is a concern (and illegal) when I park at my Mums house on a rural country lane with no pavements and the road only just wide enough for two cars to pass cautiously.

Hazard lights work with ignition off and bike locked but that's not legal for parking.

Anyone know any different?

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Turn the ignition switch more counter clockwise PAST the handlebar lock.
Yes - I turned mine PAST the lock detent and firmly engage the parking light detent (there is an icon on the ignition switch) but no lights turn on. Can someone try this on their FJ please!

Turn the ignition switch more counter clockwise PAST the handlebar lock.
Yes - I turned mine PAST the lock detent and firmly engage the parking light detent (there is an icon on the ignition switch) but no lights turn on. Can someone try this on their FJ please!
I tried this after reading this thread.  Not a single light turned on.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I've not had a chance to check mine yet, but I thought that allowed the bike to be locked with hazard lights on...?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I've not had a chance to check mine yet, but I thought that allowed the bike to be locked with hazard lights on...?
I just tested and that is correct.  You can lock the wheel but keep an indicator or hazards flashing with the key removed. 
I do know what the OP is referring to though.  Unless my memory is failing me, on my first bike, a 2005 Ninja 500R, when you turned the key to the "P", the running lights and brake light would illuminate.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

turn one indicator on before doing all that and it remains on !
You are basically right - actually you can turn on the indicators or the hazards and either will work when the key is in the parking position! That is a weird way to perform this function. I don't want the lights to blink, just illuminate. This is how it had always been done in the past - as far back as the early 80's motorcycles I have owned. I guess chalk it up to progress....

UK law requires parking lights in an unlit street, so how they got around this is a mystery.

Its not illegal to ride, only to park it.

Strange init?

but why would you need parking lights if you're not parked?

UK law requires parking lights in an unlit street, so how they got around this is a mystery. 
Its not illegal to ride, only to park it.

Strange init?

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
Perhaps if you told us what bike you had 18 years ago we might be able to help.
No, the FJ is definitely weird in this regard. I've owned ten other motorcycles and all but one illuminated the tail light and front turn signals on the P position. It sounds like the FJ doesn't comply with UK law, and I suspect it violates US FMVSS as well. But who ever checks (or even uses) this obscure feature?

Archived