Slayed the Dragon

Yamajank

True there are several routes in that area that provide equally satisfying twists and scenery, but the the Dragon is a great experience.  
I was there a week after you and and rounded a corner to this surprise 

D4D3B7D1-5516-4E1F-920C-1FE0313787D0.jpeg

50B33CF4-C8E7-474A-AECD-64FB8F80426A.jpeg

• Sad 2

If you have a dual-sport contraption of some sort to ride, them thar hills are STUFFED with far more interesting primitive dirt and gravel roads.

I haven't been down there on a streetbike in aeons, but almost every year for the last ten or so, we've been down there once or twice with KLR650s and such.

And as mentioned earlier, there are endless other and arguably better paved roads to enjoy throughout the area. The Dragon's fame is useful as an attractant for the more annoying types, keeping the very best roads relatively clear.

Still, the Dragon itself is pretty neat and all as long as you can avoid the most crowded times. The worst of the invasive species known as numbnuttus motosquidicus and flatulus piraticus baldii rarely emerge from intoxicated slumber before 10am, and vanish on weekdays.

I'm hoping to get down there with my FJ-09 sometime late this summer...

In the meantime, here's my 1983 Suzuki GS850G en dragone a little while back. And with mismatched crappy rain gear.

img_0304.jpg

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 3

15 hours ago, NCSoxFan said:

True there are several routes in that area that provide equally satisfying twists and scenery, but the the Dragon is a great experience.  
I was there a week after you and and rounded a corner to this surprise 

D4D3B7D1-5516-4E1F-920C-1FE0313787D0.jpeg

50B33CF4-C8E7-474A-AECD-64FB8F80426A.jpeg

That’s crazy. I wonder if any photographers got the incident from start to finish. 

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

That’s crazy. I wonder if any photographers got the incident from start to finish. 

Here’s a video that captured the before and after.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

In March we rode the Dragon on a Friday morning around 9 am. I think I saw maybe a dozen other riders. Only downside was the "resort" was empty. 

We did have a blast on the Cherohala. Zero other traffic in our direction. Just one rider to BS with at the lunch place in Tellico Plains. 

• Thumbsup 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/15/2021 at 5:23 AM, sabre85 said:

Been going to the mountains for two or three times a year for 40 years now. Discovered "The Gap" when a little old man I was helping pull his small fishing boat out of the lake at the north end said to me with some astonishment  "You like curvy roads?...go that way," pointing towards 129.  At that time it was all sport bikes and locals. A few years later I started reading about 'The Dragon' in all the motorcycle mags and the rest of the world found out about the little slice of motorcycling heaven, and turned it into the noisy, touristy, cruiser clogged, squid crashing, cop patrolled, destination that it has become.

When I go there now I kind of treat it like the big roller coaster at the amusement park. If the line is not too long...I take the ride. There are so many good roads in the area (NC SR 28 all the way into GA, Warwomen RD, Wayah Rd, NC SR 281, 215, 209,107, US 276, 64 when there is no traffic. ect) that the Gap is no longer the focus. Don't get me wrong, if your a sporty rider it needs to be done, but get a good map and find some of the real gems in the area.

So true.  Just went up there this year, didn't even ride it.  Went to the store and got some stickers, I've done it plenty of times and had no interest in riding it again, then left for much greater rides.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:03 AM, 1moreroad said:

In March we rode the Dragon on a Friday morning around 9 am. I think I saw maybe a dozen other riders. Only downside was the "resort" was empty. 

We did have a blast on the Cherohala. Zero other traffic in our direction. Just one rider to BS with at the lunch place in Tellico Plains. 

Please never mention the C word again...to anyone!!! Must keep it to ourselves!

8 minutes ago, Wallygator said:

Please never mention the C word again...to anyone!!! Must keep it to ourselves!

Meh, so many think the Cherohala is the best thing down there. It’s fine but getting as annoying as the Gap is with crap riders/drivers and it’s patrolled every time I’ve been on it. I’ll take 28, the Foothills Parkway, Devils Triangle or even better Wayah road, 215, 276, 64, 281, 107…….ok, I’ll stop now……

Heading down there in almost exactly a month. We’ll hit the Dragon most likely, but will spend the majority of our time elsewhere. 

• Thumbsup 3

6 minutes ago, miweber929 said:

Meh, so many think the Cherohala is the best thing down there. It’s fine but getting as annoying as the Gap is with crap riders/drivers and it’s patrolled every time I’ve been on it. I’ll take 28, the Foothills Parkway, Devils Triangle or even better Wayah road, 215, 276, 64, 281, 107…….ok, I’ll stop now……

Heading down there in almost exactly a month. We’ll hit the Dragon most likely, but will spend the majority of our time elsewhere. 

Hmmm, never experienced that on the c road. However I never go into that area on a weekend.  All you mentioned are spectacular rides. Have fun and stay safe on your next trip!

This year on the c road. Great ride into tellico, like a pseudo gp race.  On the way back to robbinsville...40 foot visibility fog with constant rain the whole ride, and big wind on the openings. It was awesome!!!

Edited by Wallygator
  • Thumbsup 1

Just now, Wallygator said:

Hmmm, never experienced that on the c road. However I never go into that area on a weekend.  All you mentioned are spectacular rides. Have fun and stay safe on your next trip!

Will do :)

I’ve been going down there at least once a year with the guys for over 20 years, and the past 6 or 7 years go 2 or 3 times a year and bring the wife for one of them. We’ll move there in the near future…….

• Thumbsup 1

4 minutes ago, miweber929 said:

Will do :)

I’ve been going down there at least once a year with the guys for over 20 years, and the past 6 or 7 years go 2 or 3 times a year and bring the wife for one of them. We’ll move there in the near future…….

I edited my post to tell a little about this year's ride.  It was great.  I agree it's a great area. Would be a cool place to retire to. This year we found out they barricaded the county during the wuhan lockdowns.  Couldn't believe it.  They said they had actual barricades on the roads blocking people from entering.  Crazy.

• Thumbsup 1

Like many here I have been going to the area for about 20 years.  The Dragon is still a fun road if you know when to go and when to avoid it.  Hope to be in the area in about 10 days.  Photo taken back around 2008.

CRS_2931.JPG

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 7

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Not sure on the order they will show. 

Me on the XR1200 in 2012 (Grey helmet) The picture with the XR and the black helmet is my oldest son on the same XR  the year before covid. IIRC.  A Picture of the 2 of us. Me on the FJ him on the XR. We rode from Nashville stayed at the Resort and had a great time on our way east to Waynesville.   Me earlier this year on the VFR. 

I try to go every so often. It's just not a priority. There are so many great roads in that area.

2687347.jpg

2687348.jpg

VFR Dragon3.jpg

XR1200.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA