Best mods for my new (to me) 2105 FJ-09

Hi all, it looks like I will be picking up an extremely low mileage 2015 FJ-09 this weekend. Appears to have bar risers and hard bags installed, which appeal to me. Otherwise it is stock.

I was looking at the new Tracer 9 GT but thought I would pick this up for 1/3 of the price and see if I enjoy it before stepping up to the newer, more sophisticated model.

My question is what are the best/most common mods or upgrades to make the riding experience more pleasurable. The bike will be used strictly on-road.  I do mostly canyon and mountain rides here in So. Cal. so good suspension is really important to me. Can the stock forks and shocks be tuned to a decent level or are most people upgrading these bits?

What are the preferred tires for optimum high temp/no rain riding (not really concerned about treadwear).

How is the throttle response out of the box? Are there any firmware or hardware upgrades to improve the driveability?

I am not tremendously concerned about increasing the power output so an exhaust and re-tune is not at the top of my list of things to do. However, throttle response and smooth operation are highly desired.

All info or leads are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Supporting Member

The throttle response is fairly jerky on the 2015 and it responds amazingly well to an ECU flash or a dyno tune.

Since you specifically mentioned California mountain and canyon riding, I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your suspension, it is one mod that I always do on every bike and NEVER regret the money spent.  Some might disagree but I don't consider the stock components worth spending money on to upgrade, start fresh with high quality parts.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks for the input.  The last forks I upgraded (on a 2000 year bike) required replacing the springs and modifying the valving, then setting sag and preload.  Is the procedure the same for these?

What are people using for higher quality rear shocks?

• Supporting Member
6 minutes ago, moparrob said:

Thanks for the input.  The last forks I upgraded (on a 2000 year bike) required replacing the springs and modifying the valving, then setting sag and preload.  Is the procedure the same for these?

What are people using for higher quality rear shocks?

The FJ09 has quite budget components, there is only one functioning fork cartridge, the other fork leg only has a spring.  There used to be a forum member who sold custom built fork cartridges, I got one of his last sets before he stopped his business.  For the shock, I have a Penske bought from Traxxion Dynamics and works VERY well. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Definitely get the 2 wheel dyno works ECU flash, as far as I'm concerned it is a requirement for 2015-17 FJs/Tracers.

I weigh 175lbs and am 5'10" and the stock front forks were enough for me after adjusting sag properly.

Best "do it all" windshield for my height was the Puig touring screen. Above 95F and I'd throw a shorter screen on, they all felt the same to me just buy whatever you like.

The OEM heated grips integrate with the bike's controls and dashboard but are more costly than aftermarket. Wrap your left handlebar with electric tape before installing the heated grip as the handlebar acts as a heatsink; otherwise you will have a burning right hand and freezing left.

The slipper clutch in the 2018-2020 Tracer 900 GT models can be directly dropped into the clutch of the 2015-17 models, TONS of guides on how to do this as it was a popular mod across the entire CP3 lineup (XSR900, FZ/MT09, etc). There's a Parshark kit with everything you need.

I personally used an Ohlins STX46 rear shock with the remote preload adjuster on my bike. Many other forum goers here also use the same shock. I actually have mine sitting in the original box on a shelf as I pulled it off my 2015 before I bought my 2021 T9GT. If you're interested in it DM me and we can talk price.

EDIT: KTM handguards are better than the factory Yamaha for cold weather riding, they bolt on even with the stock inserts in. The FZ09/MT09 bar ends will bolt straight on with the handle-bar inserts removed, I used those during the warmer season.

• Thumbsup 3

I recently installed the slipper clutch kit on my 2015, and it's quite nice. Not required by any means, but a worthwhile update. The super-light clutch pull is freaky, and I find it's smoother in all directions, not to mention the slipper function is nifty.

As far as the front, I ordered up Sonic straight-rate springs, as I do for all my bikes, only to find that the forks already contained Sonic springs in the exact rate I ordered... the original owner had a shop do some suspension work, but didn't really know what they did. Oh well. I sold the springs off quickly for only a small loss.

Mine also came with an upgraded shock, plus the original in a box. I sent the upgrade off for a refresh, and there is a big difference. If you're larger and/or faster than the average Japanese test rider, or if you ever carry a passenger you'll want to update the shock if it's original, but it's also not dangerously awful or anything if you need to save up a few pennies first.

Like every motorcycle ever made, people bitch about the brakes, but I think they're amazingly fantabulous with the original pads. (Plus the original pads are going strong at 28,000 miles.) Then again, my other bikes are a KLR650 with an upgraded brake and a vintage Suzuki GS850G. Maybe I've built up the muscles in my right paw more than some.

Mine also had supposedly had an ECU flash done as well. Some idiot broke the retainer, anyway. And the speedo is dead nuts, so I suppose it really was flashed. However, off-idle fueling is still pretty jerky. I'm not sure whether to try and have it re-flashed, or whether that's as good as it gets. I haven't ridden another example, stock or reflashed, so I don't know what I should expect.

Edited by bwringer

• Supporting Member

As @peteinpa mentioned, the twitchy throttle can be adjusted (I've yet to do this to mine):

Many folks don't care for the stock seat - I found the fwd slope crushed my berries, so fitted mine with a Seat Concepts foam & cover.  The seat feels great now; even more so after being broken in a bit.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Congrats on the bike. I say ride it for some time, and then decide where you should start with the upgrades. If you're building a budget... this thread alone will help pad it well.

• Thumbsup 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

If you want to start small (aka cheaper) the first thing I would replace are the drivers footpegs with some rubber covered ones off Ebay for less foot vibration(<$10),then maybe a Radiator guard for rock protection (<$45), fender extender for more radiator protection (<$40) and the seat slope mod the Clegg78 sells for solving the seat pitching you forward issue (<$30).

Just my .02

Edited by Suzukiguy
  • Thumbsup 3

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

You mentioned tires, I'm a sport touring person and wet performance is important to me so I'm partial to Michelin Road 5s.  However for the front I've gone to a Michelin Pilot Power 5 which is a hyper sport tire.  For purely dry I really liked the Bridgestone S20 and S21s I ran on my ZX6R 636.  They were good in the rain when I got caught in it but for my riding style were good hyper sport tires.  The FJ09 is light in the front so I recommend a very sticky front tire.  

• Thumbsup 1