New rider on board

Don Johnson

Actually not new rider, as I’m 80 years old and have been actively riding since I was 22 years old. 
raced 100 mi enduros, then at age 50;  changed to LD touring and endurance riding. Bikes of choice have been the 03 FJR, THEN TO THE BMW R1200RT.

Switched to the 21 Tracer looking for something lighter, smaller than the RT.

Only about 1500 miles on it so far, longest ride was to the Vintage days at Barber and back, about 800 miles.

Love it so far, in  general.  Don’t love the dash.  Too much busy stuff.  Who needs 13 options for heated grips.

and the accessory plug in only has a 2 amp fuse????   
any way , hope to gain some insight and knowledge from the group.  I’ll be doing all my own service, so always anxious to learn from others 

• Thumbsup 5
  • Like 3

A common theme, the more mature gentlemen rider wanting to go for something lighter and smaller.  😃  This is the exact reason I traded in my 4th FJR for the 900 GT last March... I have been on FJRs for 20 years before the Tracer.

Re: 2-amp aux plug: it was really intended for common lightweight power consumers, such as a GPS or cell phone charger, etc.  Not really designed for heavier consumers like heated clothing or similar high-draw accessory.

Welcome aboard. This forum is both informative and fairly drama-free, which is pretty nice compared to the sewer the FB groups for the Tracer can be.

• Thumbsup 3

Thanks Warchild. I loved my FJR.

it’s the one I rode in the Iron Butt 50cc challenge .  Coast to coast in 43 hrs 17 min.   In never let me down. Went to the RT for my pillion comfort. 
She gave it up , RT had over 100 miles on it. Time for a new one anyway.  

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Eggcellent, got another one :)

Welcome!!  I'd bet you will contribute lots -  based on your experience(s).

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Welcome , I too coming from an ST 1300 Honda wanted something lighter and the GT900 looked like the bike. Also coming from many years of riding and racing dirt bikes ,it reminds of a big dirt bike with its quickness and, light weight, but with the street goodies to make the ride enjoyable! 

MIKE

1 hour ago, GTO MIKE said:

Welcome , I too coming from an ST 1300 Honda wanted something lighter and the GT900 looked like the bike. Also coming from many years of riding and racing dirt bikes ,it reminds of a big dirt bike with its quickness and, light weight, but with the street goodies to make the ride enjoyable! 

MIKE

Welcome, nice to have some older riders who make me look your and I hope to still be riding when I'm you age - in my mid to late 60s now.  I have always liked smaller bikes and had a couple of 600 supersports that I loved.  The Tracer GT is a wonderful combination of light enough to drop into corners and powerful enough to have fun with.  I've looked at the R1200RT and the R1250RT and the FJR but the weight always scared me off.  Had a BMW F800GT which was a great bike but needed more power.  The Tracer is similar but love the CP3, good power and great sound.  LOL doesn't have the shriek that my CBR600RR did but nothing alerts law enforcement like a 600 hitting redline in a few gears.

Lighter is better!  Last June was going east across the Bighorn mountains and ran into a section of fresh chip tar ad then it started raining!  Pulled over to get my rain jacket, road was sloped to the left and when i leaned the bike on the side stand it seemed to be way over.  Got jacket on and tried to clean inside of my visor then carefully got back on bike.  It took a very good heave with my left leg to get it back upright from the kickstand!  I was surprised and then wondered if I almost had it on too steep of an angle!  Yea for a lighter bike!  

I was at the Barber Vintage Festival.  Sorry I didn't see you would have loved to have seen a 2021 Tracer GT as I haven't seen one yet.  I looked at the new Triumph 660 Sprint which is a nice bike but the Tracer has a lot more power and not a whole lot heavier.  Hopefully you got to meet Mary McGee.  She was very entertaining to talk to.  You are the same age as Brian Slark at the museum who also used to desert race back in the day.  

I'll be interested in hearing your perspective on the 21 Tracer GT.

First thing I did to mine was install a set of LED running lights to improve MY visibility to all the cages.  That little low beam is good at night but too small (in my opinion) to gather much attention.  Mounted low. Very effective .

also put the black reflective vinyl on the saddle bags. Reflects headlights very well.
then I installed a secondary fuse block to handle the connections for the battery tender, GPS, Driving lights, and power supply and controller for heated riding gear. 

(I tend to ride all seasons minus snow ice) 

8 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Welcome, nice to have some older riders who make me look your and I hope to still be riding when I'm you age - in my mid to late 60s now.  I have always liked smaller bikes and had a couple of 600 supersports that I loved.  The Tracer GT is a wonderful combination of light enough to drop into corners and powerful enough to have fun with.  I've looked at the R1200RT and the R1250RT and the FJR but the weight always scared me off.  Had a BMW F800GT which was a great bike but needed more power.  The Tracer is similar but love the CP3, good power and great sound.  LOL doesn't have the shriek that my CBR600RR did but nothing alerts law enforcement like a 600 hitting redline in a few gears.

Lighter is better!  Last June was going east across the Bighorn mountains and ran into a section of fresh chip tar ad then it started raining!  Pulled over to get my rain jacket, road was sloped to the left and when i leaned the bike on the side stand it seemed to be way over.  Got jacket on and tried to clean inside of my visor then carefully got back on bike.  It took a very good heave with my left leg to get it back upright from the kickstand!  I was surprised and then wondered if I almost had it on too steep of an angle!  Yea for a lighter bike!  

I was at the Barber Vintage Festival.  Sorry I didn't see you would have loved to have seen a 2021 Tracer GT as I haven't seen one yet.  I looked at the new Triumph 660 Sprint which is a nice bike but the Tracer has a lot more power and not a whole lot heavier.  Hopefully you got to meet Mary McGee.  She was very entertaining to talk to.  You are the same age as Brian Slark at the museum who also used to desert race back in the day.  

I'll be interested in hearing your perspective on the 21 Tracer GT.

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

gold HONDA CB350 in the apex of the curve 

I wanted a SL350 so bad as a youngster, 11-13. When I was 13 I got a SC500 2-stroke Yamaha. Hell of a bike when it ran, LOL! I love the ole carbureted bikes. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

Here is a pic of your friend on the CB350.  Nice bike!  Think that must be you on the red Tracer in the other pic I posted.  Since this is a Yamaha board need to have Yamaha photos.  So here is I think a 1981 550 Yamaha - I know cause I read it off the piece of paper in the bottom of the windscreen.

I have another similar one of your friend but none of you.  Couldn't get everyone so concentrated on the old bikes.  If he wants them I can email or file transfer them to him - no charge.  Send me a PM with contact info.  

I also have photos of Tony Elias in that corner when he tucked the front in practice a couple of years ago - he was going just a little faster 🙂

med_01A9234.jpg

med_01A9238.jpg

• Like 2