How do you know if you adjusted the rear shock all the way (up or down)?

2020 Tracer 900 GT

So, just curious, how do you know when you've reached the max adjustment (up or down)?  I haven't really fooled with it and the owner manual doesn't go into too much detail and in fact makes it more confusing.  It states that you will continue to hear clicks even when going beyond the max adjustment and that you could damage the shock by doing so.  That's kind of, well, dumb.  How do you even know how to get back to "0" or "MAX"???  I haven't found anything to clarify.  

I've seen plenty of threads on adjusting the suspension, but none cover my question.  If I missed on, please point me in the right direction.

• Supporting Member

If your preload clicker doesn't stop, then I think you will just have to count the clicks. Find your max and min spring length and number of clicks it takes to go between the two. I suspect that there is a mechanical limit at each end, boxing the range. You should typically have some 10+ mm of adjustment available.

Just FYI... Dave Moss walks through spring length and preload etc. in a YT video here.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

Well, this isn't really a setup question per se.  It popped into my head after adding my rear rack/top box.  Now my wife can come along once in a while, and when she does, I would need to make an adjustment to accoun for the extra weight.  I did make an adjustment when I first got it, but I didn't write it down, so know I have no real idea where I'm at.  Since Yamaha specifically states that it will continue clicking after the min/max adjustments I didn't know if there was an easy way to tell when you've gone over.  I can't use the measurement method since I no longer have a reliable point of reference.  This is really my only complaint about this bike.  Would it have killed them to engineer in a reference a visual reference for making adjustments?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

I did make an adjustment when I first got it, but I didn't write it down, so know I have no real idea where I'm at.

How would you have written it down?... from what reference point? The clicker has no min/max markings. You can setup your solo sag as reference and count from there, or you can count from the spring fully extended.

I agree though... that setup is not great. With a ring adjuster I can at least count the turns or exposed threads to know where I am.

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

49 minutes ago, piotrek said:

How would you have written it down?... from what reference point? The clicker has no min/max markings. You can setup your solo sag as reference and count from there, or you can count from the spring fully extended.

I agree though... that setup is not great. With a ring adjuster I can at least count the turns or exposed threads to know where I am.

Well, that's my entire point.  I've already adjusted it once, so I have no idea how many turns I have up or down until (according to Yamaha) I "risk damage".

Thus, my question on if there is any sort of tell (maybe less tension) when you go beyond the max/min adjsutment.

I believe there is a difference in the click when you reach the softest setting (zero).  You can also feel the tension go away from the adjustment knob.  Then the manual states that you have 24 clicks to the hardest setting.  I have zeroed mine out doing this and it's fine.  Just go slow and listen closely.  

• Thumbsup 1