Seat?

prmurat

Adding miles to my GT, it feels like I could use a more comfy seat! An email to SeatConcept has not been answered; I have one of their seat in my S10 and really like… is there any choice around for the GT??

Bonus question: is there a kind of “assistance” in the throttle when starting from a stop? I have the feeling, when starting, that the throttle automatically raise… like it could be impossible to stall? I discovered this while making a slow u-turn: did not have to apply throttle and the bike did not die on me…

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, prmurat said:

Adding miles to my GT, it feels like I could use a more comfy seat! An email to SeatConcept has not been answered; I have one of their seat in my S10 and really like… is there any choice around for the GT??

Bonus question: is there a kind of “assistance” in the throttle when starting from a stop? I have the feeling, when starting, that the throttle automatically raise… like it could be impossible to stall? I discovered this while making a slow u-turn: did not have to apply throttle and the bike did not die on me…

While the stock GT seat is much better than the non-GT seat, I am considering an Airhawk Cruiser pad for greater long-distance comfort. Airhawk started its business supplying seat cushions for wheelchair bound customers who were developing sores from long hour seat position times. 

Best YAMAHA/STAR Products Collection - Airhawk 

Corbin doesn't make one and while Sargent doesn't have one, they do have custom saddle services in case you really want one to go that route.

Most owners online I've seen get custom seats done locally but note that in adding additional padding/gel to the seat might raise the already tall saddle height even higher so consider yourself warned.  The Niken is already one of the highest stock seat settings for riders and if you're not already 6' or taller, you run the risk of making the bike so tall that you'll be on tiptoes or even higher at stops. 

Edited by maximNikenGT

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

5 minutes ago, maximNikenGT said:

While the stock GT seat is much better than the non-GT seat, I am considering an Airhawk Cruiser pad for greater long distance comfort.

Best YAMAHA/STAR Products Collection - Airhawk 

Corbin doesn't make one and while Sargent doesn't have one, they do have custom saddle services in case you really want one.

Most owners I've seen get custom seats done locally but note that in adding additional padding/gel to the seat might raise the already tall saddle height even higher so consider yourself warned.  The Niken is already one of the highest stock seat settings for riders and if you're not 6' or taller, you run the risk of making the bike so tall that you'll be on tiptoes at stops. 

I am completely aware of the saddle height!! Instant cramps in both calves when I reach for the ground… does not help that all my “bikes” are 3 wheelers (Spyder/ sidecars) and that I have to remember having a foot on the ground. I am afraid that an Airhawk or something similar will increase seat height.

I’ll start looking for some local upholstery shop…

• Supporting Member
23 minutes ago, prmurat said:

I am completely aware of the saddle height!! Instant cramps in both calves when I reach for the ground… does not help that all my “bikes” are 3 wheelers (Spyder/ sidecars) and that I have to remember having a foot on the ground. I am afraid that an Airhawk or something similar will increase seat height.

I’ll start looking for some local upholstery shop…

One other suggestion is to use road cycling bibs/shorts under your riding suit with a full chamois. This seems to help-me with the long-distance comfort for rides longer than 2 hours (since I road cycle anyways, I figured I'd give it a shot since I already had the gear). I've got Pearl Izumi, Assos as well as Louis Garneau cycling bibs/shorts and all of them seem to help extend the ride comfort vs. no chamois, and no significant increase in seat height. 

Men's Cycling Bib Shorts » ASSOS » Shop Online

Louis Garneau Equipe Bib Short - Men's | Competitive Cyclist

Browse Men's Cycling Shorts & Bibs | PEARL iZUMi

Edited by maximNikenGT
  • Thumbsup 1

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Premium Member

They don't have a cover specifically for the FJ/Tracer but have universal small, medium and large plus may do custom covers.

Everyone whose friends one loves and swears by them, especially in hot and wet climes.

https://airflowseatcovers.com/

https://pages.airflowseatcovers.com/bike-check/cantfindbike

They will tell you what size to order per the video if you send photos and dimensions.

If you ask, they will also give you a 10% off code.

What do you have to loose for $72

Thanks for the answers. One of the solutions was right in front of me: we bought some Coleman (Maddog!) ATV seat covers for our XTs years ago and even moved one to my wife’s KTM. These little pads help a lot: we went for long days on our XTs and were able to sit after! Amazon is selling them for $19.88!!!

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

Edited by prmurat
  • Thumbsup 3