Extended Warranty or not?

Hi guys, I'm looking at a 2021 Tracer 9 GT with 10.5k km

Would you guys spend an extra USD $1250 to get an extended 3 year warranty? Or do you feel that this platform is reliable enough for that to be a bit of a scam?

I'm kind of thinking that a bike with 10.5k km would probably have shown its faults earlier on and should hopefully be setup for 3 years of smooth running. Although I am a bit concerned about the long term reliability of electronic suspension. I know BMW owners have suffered there. But ultimately, I'm not sure. Appreciate any opinions!

Edited by ZOMGdonuts

Sounds a little expensive to me!

I think I paid less than half of that for the Yamaha "YES" warranty on my 2020 Tracer 900GT after I bought it used.

Maybe if you are buying from a dealer, they are marking the warranty up???? You can call Yamaha YES Direct Sales at 803-781-7746 and check it out.

• Thumbsup 1

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

I don't think it's a scam, but extended warranties are set up to be moneymakers for the sellers. It's all a function of how much of a worrywart you are. The odds are overwhelmingly low that you'll ever need it, so what you're paying for, in all reality, is the sense of comfort that if you happen to be the 1 out of 10,000 people that has a qualifying breakdown, it'll be covered. By any objective measure of risk, it's rigged against you. But if the idea of a big breakdown keeps you awake at night, buy yourself a good night's sleep. Just shop around. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, ZOMGdonuts said:

Hi guys, I'm looking at a 2021 Tracer 9 GT with 10.5k km

Would you guys spend an extra USD $1250 to get an extended 3 year warranty? Or do you feel that this platform is reliable enough for that to be a bit of a scam?

I'm kind of thinking that a bike with 10.5k km would probably have shown its faults earlier on and should hopefully be setup for 3 years of smooth running. Although I am a bit concerned about the long term reliability of electronic suspension. I know BMW owners have suffered there. But ultimately, I'm not sure. Appreciate any opinions!

That sounds outrageously expensive.  When I bought my FJ09, I got the 4 year extended coverage for around $500-$550.  Shop around, you don't have to buy it from your local dealer.

Some owners are completely against extended warranties but I used mine 5 times in the past 5 years and between parts and shop labor it paid for itself a few times over. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I bought one on my 2020 900 GT when I bought it but more as a favor to the dealer who had given me what I felt was a really good deal.  It was just over $700.  The profits on extended warranties are something like 50% or more.  So figure that the average expense for a Tracer GT might be $300 and probably even less in out of pocket expenses.    I like to think of it in that was as it says for every major engine rebuild that is experienced there are way more bikes that do not have an issue.  If you do your own maintenance and repairs then I would say don't get one.  If you take it to the dealer for everything then get  a YES.   In general service and warranty agreements are a way to legalize costs and prevent unexpected costs.  Places like Amazon and Best Buy love the extended warranties they sell as they are almost put profit - LOL had a friend who was in the insurance business and one thing they did was underwrite those.  He told me the profit margin was very high on those.

The other side of the coin is something like a home warranty when you buy a new house.  Having spent a vey large amount to outbid all others and pay well over listing price for the house you might not have much left over for a washing machine that fails and costs $1,500 to replace or the $3,000 refrigerator or the $10,000 AC compressor.  So in that sense it is an insurance policy.  

• Thumbsup 1

My first post here... I bought a new Tracer 9 GT ten days ago and have just done my first oil/filter change at 603 miles.  I love the bike so far.

I vote NO on the extended warranty.  I'm 73 and have been buying, riding, and working on my bikes most of those years.  A few times, with larger, more expensive bikes, I've bought the extended warranty.  And never needed any of them.

The bike comes with a good warranty, one year and unlimited miles.  If something is going to break, it will most likely break in that period.  I've had many Yamahas, and some of them have given me a little trouble.  Usually nothing that needs to go to the dealer shop.  I avoid the dealer shops,  because most of them are a waste of time.  The techs there may actually make things worse.

Learn to do your own work, avoid the dealer shops.  Very unlikely you will have a major expensive problem that you can't address yourself.  If in that unlikely event you have to take the bike to the dealer shop for, say, an ABS or engine problem, you pay then.  If you buy the insurance policy, you already paid even if nothing ever breaks.

Congrats on your new bike.  WOW took you 10 days to get to 600 miles 🙂  Bought mine on a Wednesday afternoon and had it back  the following Saturday mounting with 620 miles for the first service.  Traded bikes in Sioux Falls SD which is 1,400+ miles from home.  Some great memories of the whole experience.  Took it in for service and since it was lunchtime walked across the street to the Burger King.  It was September 2020 and I was wearing my In n Out Burger T-shirt.  Lobby was closed so walked thru the drive thru.  No-one at the Burger King said anything to me - dealer I bought it from also carried Indian and a HD dealer was next door so they probably thought I was another crazy HD rider.  

Agree with you about the warranty.  18,000 miles in the first year and working on more.  Been contemplating taking to a local shop for the valve clearance check but since I'm retired with nothing else to do hahahaha.  Found out yesterday that next week I have karate duty for the 8 year old twins. Plus after school care.  Hummm might be time to break out the scooter and ride them around the yard.  

11 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Been contemplating taking to a local shop for the valve clearance check but since I'm retired with nothing else to do hahahaha.    

Speaking of valve clearance check... Years ago I bought a brand new 97 Yamaha Royal Star.  At around 26k miles I did the normal valve clearance check myself.  I've done this on many motorcycle engines, so I knew how.  15 of the 16 valves were within tolerance and needed no adjustment, but that 16th valve was tight.  It was an intake valve and it essentially had no clearance at all.  I couldn't get even my .0001 feeler gauge under the cam.  This made me glad I'd actually done the clearance check.  Many don't.  The fact that a single valve was so tight made me think that, on the first valve clearance check, it might be wise to go a few thousand miles early.  It may be that when the motor was set up at the factory, the assembler didn't do all that terrific a job setting the clearances.  And 26k miles is a long time to let it go.

That's why, ever since that Royal Star, I've gone early to the first valve adjustment.  After you do it once, and set all the valves at the wide end of the range, then you will know that all will be well for the next 26k miles interval.