Looking for Smaller Second Bike

56 minutes ago, KellyL said:

I also happen to have a Kawasaki W800 and it is soooo much better to ride in city traffic than the Niken. On paper it seems like a crap bike, but it's just twist and go when I zip off to work or to the shops, with maximum fun. Specs aren't everything.

Agreed.  I drove a Triumph Speed Twin that was also really small and easy to tool around on the streets with.  I think a lot of bikes actually fit the bill without having to have really high specs, and I think that a lot of the high end stuff is really overselling the average rider's abilities.  

• Thumbsup 1

That's interesting.  The Honda 500's seem to exhibit a little more quality than other bikes of that displacement to me.  Can't really put my finger on it, but the engine casings look good, the switchgear looks good too.  And this year they added USD Showa Big Piston forks! --> same ones that the CBR650 is using.  Has to be a huge improvement in handling.  Might be worth looking into.  

Edited by Jayzonk

On 3/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, PhotoAl said:

My only complaint about the CP3 is you don't get a big rush of power at the top end.  Otherwise it's a fantastic engine.  I've had two hardcore sport bikes, a 2012 CBR600RR and a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS.  Both were great bikes and well set up from the factory.  Either would be a great track day bike.  I rode both of them to work pretty much every day.  In the rain and cold and hot and sunshine.  Loved riding them but would not describe either as something I'd jump on and take for a spin to the grocery store.

OP is looking for a fun bike that is easier and more nimble than the FJ09/Tracer.  I could see the Triumph 660 as it sat nicely.  For a put fun bike that I wasn't going to ride far but would be easy to jump on I'd suggest an Indian.  Yup Indian FTR!  Did a demo ride on one and it was a blast to ride, reminded me of a big scooter.  Easy to balance even at stops and traffic lights, good power and turned well.  When I traded for the Tracer 900 GT, it was a good thing I was 2,000 miles from home and already had a deal lined up.  On the floor were an Aftica Twin and two Indian FTRs.  Both were so tempting but I had all my gear and stuff and needed to get it home.   Hummm wonder if I could have shipped it UPS and ridden the two day home with just the clothes I had ......  Indian Scout is another bike I would look at for a fun easy alternative.  Not a nimble and flickable as the FTR but an easy ride.  I've got two scooters and for the quick local trips I'll jump on a scooter in a heartbeat.  

To be honest, I start hitting that rush of power you're talking about and I start to get pretty nervous.  It's usually around 85mph in fourth in the curves near my place on an inline four.  Everything feels soooo different at that speed, so I do it infrequently.  Maybe some track days to practice this summer, to get more familiarity with all of the top end....

It's fun when you know what it's going to do.  Front wheel didn't come up on either bike other than 1st gear.  85MPH was at the top of 2nd gear on the sport bikes I had.  Again not something to tool around town in.  85+ on the street in the curves is not a place to go down.  Save that speed for the track.  

That's why the FTR caught my eye and left me with a big grin.  Easy to hop on and just ride, get where you are going easy to balance in parking lots etc.

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

It's fun when you know what it's going to do.  Front wheel didn't come up on either bike other than 1st gear.  85MPH was at the top of 2nd gear on the sport bikes I had.  Again not something to tool around town in.  85+ on the street in the curves is not a place to go down.  Save that speed for the track.  

That's why the FTR caught my eye and left me with a big grin.  Easy to hop on and just ride, get where you are going easy to balance in parking lots etc.

The FTR is dead sexy, too.  Straight up, that is an awesome bike, sounds ferocious.  I've heard they get crappy mileage (more a tank size problem than fuel economy) but as an around-town bar hopper that doesn't matter much. 

They're so cool.

(And come on, HD, how can you look at Indian's FTR and not compete with that?  Give me a Bronx, damnit!)

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Yes, but I was wondering about the tire choice on it. It looks like it has a little bit of a higher sidewall tire, so perhaps less lean angle available?  I am asking, not telling....don't want to spread false rumours!

6 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

probably won't lean like a sport bike but not too bad.  Not a bike I would pick for a track day but a fun town bike that can zip around.

Max lean is listed as 43 degrees; kind of low for a naked but lets be real: That's more than the vast majority of riders ever use, and for such a tight wheelbase you're not going to have maneuverability problems.