Emission rating?

I have a 2017 FJ-09 that I'm thinking of selling, and an inmate from ADV forum wonders if it's California compliant (He's thinking of a fly and ride from CA to PA to CA).  I've been looking for an emissions rating plate or label and not having any luck.  Someone mentioned a "canister" that would have the information. 

So, a few questions come to mind:

Are all 2017 FJ-09's California compliant? 

Are there different emission ratings for different builds of the 2017?

Is there an emissions label?

If so, where is it?

Thanks in advance.

Tom D.

• Supporting Member

I think the motorcycle has to be over 3 model years old and have over 15,000mi on the clock to be allowed to be registered in state with out being  CA compliant.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Thank you!  I'd heard 7,500 miles, but that's not going to an issue 'cause it only has about 1200 miles on it.  I'm also looking for a way to find out if it's California compliant.

Tom

You’d have to check with CA dmv, but yes - Yamaha has a US model and a Ca model. 
US models do not have a charcoal canister. I believe Ca requires a way to collect evap emissions (charcoal canister). 

The VIN sticker located on the frame may or may not say that the bike “ meets all US emissions “ or “meets all US and Ca emissions” standards on the date of manufacture. 
Whether CA dmv would accept a retrofit might be another question to ask. 

HTH,

Skip

Edited by skipperT

The sticker is under the tail section next to the regulator where the rear tire throws dirt. It's about 100% that yours is not a Cali bike. 

Not trying to kill your sale but I see these everywhere for sale. Aren't Cali ones for sale there?