Bike jumps when shifting from neutral to first

sparreau

Brand new FJ-09 with ~120mi. The bike jumps when shifting from neutral to first, as if the clutch is still partially engaged even with the lever pulled all the way in. I adjusted the nuts at the end of the clutch cable to take out all slack and then some, but there is no change.

Do I need to adjust further, or is this something that will go away as the bike breaks in?

• Premium Member
No and no

It's a feature of the bike and reminds me of the VFR750s and CBR600 I owned.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

When you say jumps do you mean just a slight movement / jerk forward without actually moving? My FZ6r did this as well kind of feels like the chain slack is being picked up when putting into gear. I've never worried about it if its the same thing, and the FJ-09 if i remember from my ride does the same kind of thing.

It jerks forward with a loud click sound, and is fairly strong. If this is the way it's supposed to be, then I'm a bit disappointed. It's difficult to push the bike around with the clutch pulled in, but easy in neutral. I'm coming from a CBR500RA which didn't do this at all, but I guess I could get used to it.

Sparreau- It's interesting that your cbr500 didn't do this, and I'd speculate that the bikes out there that DON't jump a bit when clicked into first or second gear from neutral - are in the minority.

The reason it occurs: because you have 2 shafts in the transmission that are spinning and when you select a gear even with the clutch lever pulled in - you ask those 2 shafts that were spinning to suddenly come to a stop when the gears and dogs are engaged (because the rear wheel is stationary.)

This causes the "jump" or "clunk" from the drivetrain, which is sometimes accompanied by the machine moving forward a bit.

You'll have to deal with it. Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear, but this is a normal characteristic of most motorcycles.

Personally, I still have my hand on the front brake lever when I click into 1st from neutral. So I know the bike really isn't going anywhere.

-skip

Do you mean all the time ? 
When I first put it into gear for the first time of any ride, it makes a obvious 'clunk' and jumps forward with a jerk, but my old Thunderace did this from cold so assumed its a yamaha thing ?  Ive never worried about it tbh

Thanks for the responses, and at least I now know there's nothing wrong. Overall I'm loving the bike. When I drove it home I was blown away by the power and acceleration. The next day I found "A" mode.... Yesterday I took 4 rides back-to-back alternating between the FJ-09 and the CBR500. While the 500 used to feel perfect for me, it now feels cramped and underpowered.

Try holding in the clutch for say 10-15 seconds before putting it into first gear and see if it makes a difference.

I've noticed on my FJR's that by doing this, it seems less abrupt.

Archived